I need help deciding...

cotton17

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new ukulele and i researched a bit and i have found two that i really like. One is a Lanikai and the other is a Cordoba. They are both the exact same price. I know i should try them first but there are no good music stores around me and they definitely don't have any Cordobas. Any responses would help

Here is the Lanikai:
http://store.lanikaiukes.com/produc...TEQ/1209.1.1.1.57518.107223.107609.0.0?pp=12&

Here is the Cordoba:
http://www.cordobaguitars.com/83.php
(leaning towards this one at the moment)

I haven't tried either but there was an earlier post about questionable construction practices by Cordoba. I don't know if it ever was resolved.

The Cordobas I've seen have a very heavy gloss finish. Can't be helping tone. Plus I've seen thick finishes like crack over time leaving little lines all over your instrument.

They're both in the same ballpark as to quality and construction. I'd probably go for the Lanikai if I couldn't find a nice Kala somewhere for the same price or even a little more.

Thank you both for the replies. very helpful. is Kala better than both Lanikai and Cordoba?

Thank you both for the replies. very helpful. is Kala better than both Lanikai and Cordoba?

Really at this price point they are all about the same. What is going to separate them is where you get them from.. I recommend two online.dealers www.ukerepublic.com and www.mimsukes.com both are top notch dealers that love ukuleles. you get unsurpassed customer servise and set up ukulele.

Really at this price point they are all about the same. What is going to separate them is where you get them from.. I recommend two online.dealers www.ukerepublic.com and www.mimsukes.com both are top notch dealers that love ukuleles. you get unsurpassed customer servise and set up ukulele.

Many of us would concur & heartily recommend both - the difference will likely be seen in price, custom setup (direct from the factory these ukes are usually unplayable & usually have crap strings), & selection at the price point you are looking to spend. And... these dealers are both active UU members.

The Cordoba uke has laminate sides, but a solid top and back.
I can't tell about the Lanikai.

Solid wood is preferred. If the Lanikai body is all solid wood, I would go with that.

The Lanikai is all laminate and the Cordoba may be all laminate. I have recently seen a solid mahogany PONO go cheaper than these on ebay. Your price range would also inlclude a solid mahogany Mainland, Ohana, Kanilea Islander, and a few more. I just wouldn't spend that much on either of them. You didn't say if a pickup is a requirement.

The Lanikai is all laminate and the Cordoba may be all laminate. I have recently seen a solid mahogany PONO go cheaper than these on ebay. Your price range would also inlclude a solid mahogany Mainland, Ohana, Kanilea Islander, and a few more. I just wouldn't spend that much on either of them. You didn't say if a pickup is a requirement.

the cordoba says the top and back are solid. i'm looking for a koa ukulele since i already have a mahogany one. and yes i do want a pickup. but thank you a lot, knowing that the lanikai is all laminate really helps

what do you guys think of this Kala? since the Lanikai is out of the question cause its all laminate.

http://www.kalaukulele.com/detail.asp?product_id=KA-KTE-C
That's quite a price jump...

It wasn't that long ago that Music Guy Mike did a blind test of solid vs. laminate ukes. Many couldn't tell the difference, and in some instances they preferred the sound of the laminates!

It really depends on the individual instrument. I wouldn't discount anything based on laminate/solid wood alone.

the cordoba says the top and back are solid. i'm looking for a koa ukulele since i already have a mahogany one. and yes i do want a pickup. but thank you a lot, knowing that the lanikai is all laminate really helps

The Cordoba isn't koa - it's acacia, which is very similar, but not the same.

Between those two? Mm... uhhh... [I've never played either uke, before.] ... hmm... [Just peeked at the Lanikai and Cordoba sites again.] ...uhmm... the Lankai? [One more peek.] ... uhhhhmmm... yeah, ahem, the Lanikai, definitely.

But seriously, best of luck finding the best uke for you---it's tough if you can't get to any music shops that stock a few different ukes.

Take the good advice you've received in this thread, a little more time to think it over, then go with your gut. (Also check out the return policies of the dealers, just in case.)

I want you to do something...If you really want a koa ukulele compare the price of the cordoba "koa" ukulele with others (not K brands but Mele, Kamoa, Honu) and ask yourself why is the cordoba so much cheaper?

That's quite a price jump...

It wasn't that long ago that Music Guy Mike did a blind test of solid vs. laminate ukes. Many couldn't tell the difference, and in some instances they preferred the sound of the laminates!

It really depends on the individual instrument. I wouldn't discount anything based on laminate/solid wood alone.

Butif my memory serves me correctly the solid koa Hawaiian made instrument was the hands down clear cut winner for best sound.

So Cotton17, hopefully you aren't sorry for this thread yet. I 'm not sure where you live, but the general advise from all would be that if you don't have a local shop to try one out then to find an online seller that takes the Uke back (typically within 48 hrs). Risk the shipping cost of returning it (check on that) and try it out. Take all our advice with a grain of salt. Your looking at good manufacturers and any will do you good.

Being happy with the Uke is most important. If you like it you'll play it and that's what it's all about.

Id rather not pick cordoba
I'm not saying cordoba sounds really bad it just doesnt exactly sound so much a ukulele. I played the all laminate mahogany concert and it felt kinda heavy for a concert. I very much prefer my luna tattoo :3

Top Bottom