Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new mandolin!

Default My new mandolin!

Well, since there's an "other instruments" section of the forum, I thought I'd show off my new mandolin.

I got a great deal on a blemished JBovier F5. Just before the luthier shipped it to me, he tired to fix the very minor blem and ended up making it worse. So he sent me an unblemished F5 instead... I got lucky.

This mandolin sounds awesome... I would equate it in the ukulele world with getting one of the higher end Ponos. It's not a $3,000-$5,000 mandolin but it can hold it's own with other mandolins in that league.

Attachment 54784

Nice! Looks cool. My cousin has one and I learned a little bit of this song http://youtu.be/hSZ40V0teGM it's really fun. Hard to play clean compared to the ukulele though
    Youtube: http://m.youtube.com/user/BIGDB12123

Ukuleles: Kanile'a KPE tenor, Martin s1, martin style 3

Sweet! Have you played mando before? If not, be prepared to take your calluses to a whole new level.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDB View Post
    Nice! Looks cool. My cousin has one and I learned a little bit of this song http://youtu.be/hSZ40V0teGM it's really fun. Hard to play clean compared to the ukulele though
    Yeah, Thile's classical stuff is great!

Quote Originally Posted by itsme View Post
    Sweet! Have you played mando before? If not, be prepared to take your calluses to a whole new level.
    I've been playing every day since January and learning a lot - on a mandolin I got for free that is pretty much unplayable. My left hand will never be stronger than after having played a few months on that old one.
    This new mando plays like a dream... But even compared to the high end ones in stores that I've played, my new J Bovier is incredible. Radius fretboard, big frets, nice neck profile, big full woody sound, etc... So I'm looking forward to my calluses actually decreasing at this point.

Very nice!

I enjoy noodling on my mandolin, but holy crap are chords hard! I have weak pinky fingers. I blame them.

Lovely looking instrument!
    Purple Makala Dolphin : Mahalo Camp Uke : Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Porthos : Lanikai O8-E Honey : Mainland Red Cedar Soprano Panties : Ohana Sopranino Short Round : Islander Soprano : Mainland Mahogany Tenor Tank Jr : Kala KM-FMB : Makai PK-55 Inspiration : Vintage Blackstone Baritone : Bluegrass Cedar top Tenor : Zebrawood Fishuku
    Youtube : Facebook : Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzic View Post
    Very nice!

I enjoy noodling on my mandolin, but holy crap are chords hard! I have weak pinky fingers. I blame them.

Lovely looking instrument!
    Thanks Skitzik! And agreed, the chords are hard sometimes. I've been very consistent about doing scales every morning. I include my pinky in them, so I've built up some good strength and it's now almost like any other finger. That has really helped my ukulele playing as well. Mandolin is hard on the fingers but really strengthens them considerably too.

That's a beauty! Play the poo out of it and enjoy!

Oh, my, that is lovely! I am in awe of the mandolin players out there (having tried it myself.....).
    Kathryn

Quote Originally Posted by AKuker View Post
    That's a beauty! Play the poo out of it and enjoy!
    Thanks! The poo is already played out of it and it's only been a couple days. Having lots of fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by kvehe View Post
    Oh, my, that is lovely! I am in awe of the mandolin players out there (having tried it myself.....).
    Thank you! I'm in awe of the good players as well. It's a hard instrument to master and there are some incredible players out there.

She's a beauty, that's for sure! I love those mandos with the curl on the top. I'm sure there is a proper name for that feature but I don't know it. Congrats!
    Chiun: It would be better for you to eat this can than what is inside of it. Why must everything in this country be coated with monositi-... monosoti...
    Remo Williams: Monosodium glutamate. You can't even say it.
    Chiun: I can say "rat droppings." That does not mean I want to eat them.

Thread Information