UWC 2012, Ukulele World Congress

hoosierhiver

Reaction score
UKULELE WORLD CONGRESS 2012 * 4th Annual! *

JUNE 1st-2nd 2012
NEEDMORE (Brown County!) INDIANA

About 10 miles from Nashville Indiana off HWY45 at @ 4600 Plum Creek Rd.

Free! Compliments of Mainland Ukes

http://www.youtube.com/user/UkuleleWorldCongress

Most people start arriving late Friday afternoon, although several people came Thursday last year.
You're welcome to come a day or two early, but you might end up helping with the mowing and set-up.
Some people didn't leave till Monday or later!
There will be a potluck again Friday evening at 7pm. Mainland will have free water and drinks available until they run out.
There is an open mic each evening as well as a lot of other jammings all day and playing around the bonfire all night.

Nothing official planned for Sunday, but it's YOUR party so you guys can do what you want! Last year, Sunday had some nice low-key jamming and folks hanging around trying to find any excuse to prolong the experience.
The site for the UWC is a couple of big, well maintained fields with no permanent structures except for the stage. Both the fields are at least partially bordered by woods and a creek. As Bassuke has said, camping under shade is a good idea. There are alot of good on-site camping areas that weren't really explored last year, in the back of "parking field" there are some sweet drive up and camp spots that have shade for alot of the day.
There is basically an unlimited amount of parking and camping space. Portable toilets will be on site.
HOTELS:
Nashville is only about 10 minutes away from the UWC site and has a good variety of hotels and Bed and Breakfasts. Here's some options.

http://www.browncountylodging.com/lodging/list.html

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-nashville-indiana-IN419

http://saltcreekinn.com/

http://www.browncountyinn.com/

http://www.lakelemonguesthouses.com/

CAMPING:
Primative camping is free at the UWC site! (No showers sorry)
The local YMCA in Nashville sells $5 day passes, but I think it's free the first Saturday of the month.

PROVISIONS:
Nashville is not far and the Needmore store, good for some basics is only about a mile away.

Nashville has an IGA for food and other supplies.
There is also a CVS (cheap booze) and a liquor store in Nashville.

If you are flying ,Indianapolis International airport is about an hour or so away.

Google map to the site:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...66,0.2635&z=13

See you there! Mike

Mike, very generous of you to host. New uker from IL, couple questions please:

(1) I am a hammock camper (Warbonnet Blackbird hammock). Is there a place for hammocking, i.e. two trees 12-15 feet apart in a spot for camping?

(2) I have heard that the huge Harley club is sometimes in Nashville that weekend. Is that true in 2012? If so, do they hog all the B&Bs, drink all the booze out of the IGA, and would a Fez-wearing, ukulele player with a bellyful of Pabst Blue Ribbons, who's all juiced up from playing "Tiny Bubbles" on your stage, get his belly slit by the Hells Angels if he staggered into Nashville? LOL

Thanks for posting and hosting. Steve

Last edited:
I'm making plans now!

Mike, very generous of you to host. New uker from IL, couple questions please:

(1) I am a hammock camper (Warbonnet Blackbird hammock). Is there a place for hammocking, i.e. two trees 12-15 feet apart in a spot for camping?

(2) I have heard that the huge Harley club is sometimes in Nashville that weekend. Is that true in 2012, and if so, do they hog all the B&Bs, drink all the booze out of the IGA, and would a Fez-wearing, ukulele player with a bellyful of Pabst Blue Ribbons, who's all juiced up from playing "Tiny Bubbles" on your stage, get his belly slit by the Hells Angels if he staggered into Nashville that weekend? LOL

Thanks for posting and hosting. Steve

The fields are bordered by woods, so a hammock spot can be found.

Nashville has become a pretty popular biker destination and there are always a few bikes at UWC. Rumor is there might even be a new biker shop across from the Mainland shop by then.

Michael, my brother.

I will be there with bells on! Wild horses couldn't keep me away!
My lovely bride is even planning on joining us!

Next year will be even more amazing!

I MIGHT even go swimming in the creek!

Gah... my whole body filled up with love, just thinking about it!

And Steve? Don't worry about anything... hang with us lot and you'll be happy! UWC is the best place and time in the universe!

The only rules are:

1) No negativity on the fields. Leave that elsewhere.
and the most important one...
2) the MC has to/gets to hug everyone that plays on stage at the open mic!

I was privileged enough to be invited to MC both evenings this year and instituted this rule, with Mike's blessing!, and it made everything so much better.

Be prepared to bawl like a baby at the end of it... but also be prepared to be filled with love and joy for weeks, if not months, afterwards.

Already got my reservation in Mike. Thanks for hosting again. Need something to get us through the winter.

E for full time MC

Basically the first weekend of June is always UWC for me. No matter what.

Actually thought I wasn't making this one because my friends were getting married that weekend but they broke up. lol

If you haven't been to a ukulele festival GO TO THIS ONE

If you have been to one GO TO THIS ONE

There is no other uke festival in the world like this.

*like*
I'm excited!!

E! doesn't realize it but with the new hugging rule he is going to have a lot more competition for the spot! :) They may have to have an MC sign up sheet right next to the performer one! :)
E for full time MC

Actually thought I wasn't making this one because my friends were getting married that weekend but they broke up. lol

If you haven't been to a ukulele festival GO TO THIS ONE

If you have been to one GO TO THIS ONE

There is no other uke festival in the world like this.

E! doesn't realize it but with the new hugging rule he is going to have a lot more competition for the spot! :) They may have to have an MC sign up sheet right next to the performer one! :)

Col, I love the support, but as Tim says here, there may be competition!

And I hope there IS! I had an absolute BLAST MCing and would love to do it again, but I wouldn't want to take that absolute joy away from anyone else! Alex did an AMAZING job this year, keeping the flow going, supporting so, so many people, showing the love... he was awesome!

If anyone wants to MC, I encourage them to step up and volunteer! It's SO worth it!

Let the countdowns begin. so excited. Just wish it did not end up on my wifes birthday. Not a big deal, this will be year 4 that I miss it.

Let the countdowns begin. so excited. Just wish it did not end up on my wifes birthday. Not a big deal, this will be year 4 that I miss it.
Could she change her birthday maybe, or learn to play the uke?

"Hey, dear, guess what, I've booked a very special weekend at a bed'n'breakfast in Nashville for your birthday this year..."

Just sayin... LOL

John

Michael, my brother.

I will be there with bells on! Wild horses couldn't keep me away!
My lovely bride is even planning on joining us!

Next year will be even more amazing!

I MIGHT even go swimming in the creek!

Gah... my whole body filled up with love, just thinking about it!

And Steve? Don't worry about anything... hang with us lot and you'll be happy! UWC is the best place and time in the universe!

The only rules are:

1) No negativity on the fields. Leave that elsewhere.
and the most important one...
2) the MC has to/gets to hug everyone that plays on stage at the open mic!

I was privileged enough to be invited to MC both evenings this year and instituted this rule, with Mike's blessing!, and it made everything so much better.

Be prepared to bawl like a baby at the end of it... but also be prepared to be filled with love and joy for weeks, if not months, afterwards.

Ok, I want a hug, but no kissing on the lips!!!!

Actually thought I wasn't making this one because my friends were getting married that weekend but they broke up.

So which is it? You would go to UWC no matter what or you would not go because your friends were going to get married?

Top Bottom