UWC 2012, Ukulele World Congress

If Austin plays without a shirt, I'd like to donate some of my frequent flyer miles to help her out.

I hope to fly back and participate. I told my thai wife she needs to come meet Mike and his Thai wife. We're also hoping to see them in Bangkok this February.

it was a cool experience last year. I was glad I went and my brother's family loved it.

The reason I ask is that I'm a very nervous flyer and I've chickened out of coming for the last two years. If someone was to say to me, "I'll go if you go", that little bit of guilt-tripping might add a little more incentive...

I'll go if you go. No wait, does it only work if you hear this from someone in the UK?

Related to David Gill by any chance?
I know I answered this to you directly, but for others.
Yes, Gary Gill is David Gills Nephew. He has made a few ukes in davids shop. I think he is doing some fun stuff with a tower nut and also in favor of the string through the body saddle.

The reason I ask is that I'm a very nervous flyer and I've chickened out of coming for the last two years. If someone was to say to me, "I'll go if you go", that little bit of guilt-tripping might add a little more incentive...

Oh Man, It'd be great to have you Tony!

I want to go....but who would I know there. Do any famous people come and play?

Even if you don't know anyone at the beginning, you'll know a whole lot of 'em at the end! You'll have a whole new family!

Don't know if schmee will make it - here is their thoughts on UWC from another thread....

schmee wrote:

"Thanks ukeku,
I think there are som UKE players around. I really am not sure I would like hanging out and camping for a afew days. the pics make the ukulele world congress look like a hippy festival. Not a huge fan of hippies.
we will see.
I will continue playing with myself for now"

Maybe his definition of hippie is different than mine. I'm a middle-aged working gal too. Ok I'm a lesbian too so maybe I'm a "hippie" for that no matter what other aspects there are to me!

My understanding of UWC is a whole lot different: Like camping? Check. Like sitting around on a summer day in a lawn chair playing uke? Check. Like trees, and streams and fun people and no pressure? Check. Like flipflops and shorts and swimming a creek in the summer? Check.

Maybe to him anyone who likes to hang around in the woods playing uke for a weekend with other people is a hippie? If we brought guns instead of ukes, and called ourselves hunters instead of ukesters, maybe we'd be considered "ok".

Marymac.

You basically have it all in a nutshell. I've been all three years and it's always fun.

Maybe his definition of hippie is different than mine. I'm a middle-aged working gal too. Ok I'm a lesbian too so maybe I'm a "hippie" for that no matter what other aspects there are to me!

My understanding of UWC is a whole lot different: Like camping? Check. Like sitting around on a summer day in a lawn chair playing uke? Check. Like trees, and streams and fun people and no pressure? Check. Like flipflops and shorts and swimming a creek in the summer? Check.

Maybe to him anyone who likes to hang around in the woods playing uke for a weekend with other people is a hippie? If we brought guns instead of ukes, and called ourselves hunters instead of ukesters, maybe we'd be considered "ok".

This post radiates awesome. I think I have to go take a shower to get it all off of me.

Top Bottom