The Luthiers Workbench - pics?

What other vices are you guys using? I was just planning on a regular face vice
S.

I really like the Parrot vise. It is very reasonably priced from Grizzly. Although not shown in the vise in the picture of my bench, the jaw liners are laying there on the bench top. I was probably using the vise for something where I wanted the metal surfaces. The great thing about the cork lined jaws are that they are self-aligning, so they work well on tapered pieces, like necks. I think they are a must for this vise, but you could make a pair.

It's Walnut, grown about 100 yards from where you see it!

Ah. I love the tan to smokey brown color transition in those pieces and I love working with walnut, one of my favorites. And although I slightly overbuilt my first walnut uke I really liked the sound coming from it. Are you making instruments out of those pieces?

Here it is. Walk around bench. nice and high so I don't get a sore back. You'll notice the super high tech bender. Why people get carried away with flash hot pipe gizmos and contraptions is beyond me.

IMG_0509.jpgIMG_0510.jpgIMG_0511.jpgIMG_0512.jpg

Ah. I love the tan to smokey brown color transition in those pieces and I love working with walnut, one of my favorites. And although I slightly overbuilt my first walnut uke I really liked the sound coming from it. Are you making instruments out of those pieces?
Yep. Reckon on getting 2-3 Guitars and around 15 - 20 Ukes out of that one. It is one of four from the same tree, all 4" thick and near 7' long. :)
Board 1-cut.jpg

I like you shop Liam, seems well organized. Is that a spray booth in the background of the 4th picture? I've been considering putting one in but its going to be a pretty small space... Not sure what the best way to approach that will be.
S.

Here's my main bench...after looking at the photo, I now realize why I can't find anything. Time for the great Sunday morning clean up!
I like the Grizzly vice as well. The quality isn't anything near as good as the Snap-On Bench vice I bought 25 years ago(i'll snap aphoto after I clean up that bench later today!). The handle feels and sounds cheap. I might feel better if I change it out with a hardwood dowel.
2011-10-22_19-43-15_768.jpg

Yep. Reckon on getting 2-3 Guitars and around 15 - 20 Ukes out of that one. It is one of four from the same tree, all 4" thick and near 7' long. :)
View attachment 29199

Even prettier now. You're lucky, I have to travel almost an hour one way in any direction to find wood like that. These city folks look at me and scratch their heads when I ask about tonewoods. Although people around here are always giving away trees as long as you cut it down and haul it out, my back can't do that anymore. That's a nice stack.

Of course there is walnut to be had around here but not in large sizes and not at good prices.

Last edited:
It's interesting to see your benches and how you all arrange your work areas. Would that my bedroom looked as nice as boydellinii's work space. Pictured below is what works for me. My shop is tiny, so the tool cabinet is the only way I can keep my tools from taking over the space. The oak for the bench came from some old barn beams and my workhorse vice is a sturdy Columbian 7-CD. I mounted the Parrot vice and a utility vice on separate bases that easily and quickly clamp into the Columbian when needed. I'd love to have space to have all of these mounted permanantly, but that is not the case. The only other flat surface is an old countertop that covers my compressor and some storage. The Zyllis mounts nicely to this space and gives me a little more room to plane scarf joints, carve necks etc.

Attachments

• Ukes 008.jpg
    Ukes 008.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Ukes 005.jpg
    Ukes 005.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Ukes 007.jpg
    Ukes 007.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Ukes 010.jpg
    Ukes 010.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 96
Thats a nice looking little shop Ken
S.

Those are pretty nice, but a bench like that should be scratch built!
S.

I never have tools over the workbench...

It's working for me, but he cabinet is also on a french cleat and could be easily moved if needed. The problem in this space is that there is no other wall space available. What do you prefer, Pete?

Top Bottom