Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low G Baritone Strings (GCEA) Options?

Quote Originally Posted by southcoastukes View Post
    Sounds like you found everything O.K. Two plain sets - different tensions - a double wound LML and single wound LL (different tensions again).

As far as price, remember this thread started 5 years ago. I'm sure the $8.25 set then is the LL-NW set - $10.00 now as you noted. Wound strings add cost in and of themselves, then take into account that all our wounds strings are polished (more cost) and finally that there are two different ways we polish. With some material we do a very large scale method, with other material we have to use a slower small batch method that's more costly. You can easily see which is which.

And finally as far as heavier gauges, we have them, of course, but heavier gauges will mean a lower tuning. Remember that if you're going to always tune to the same key (C in this instance) that to keep the same relative tension, you'll need heavier gauges as the scale gets shorter, lighter gauges as it gets longer. So - 20" scale - longer than 17", for example; then if both are tuned to C and tension is kept the same, the 20" scale will need lighter gauges.

That's what you saw on the little clickable tension charts.
    HI Dirk, Thanks. missed that the earlier thread was old. Will try one of those sets and see how I like it.

Reviving this thread and much appreciate the discussion of string tension on the Southcoastuke site - I play baroque instruments and it paralleled the discussion of string tension on those sites. However what I don't get is which octave I can tune my baritone to with which string set. I'd like to get GCEA an octave down from tenor and then drop the A so it's just a second from the G. Or GceA which I know you sell but which octave on a 20" baritone? And which string tension would you recommend to achieve this? Also, separate question, are you looking into loaded strings like the Aquila reds in order to avoid the would strings? (I'd love to get away from wound strings).

Thanks for a terrific site!

It looks like Southcoast has simplified their website since this thread was started. I have a vintage Regent baritone ukulele, I recently got for $20, had a friend install a nut and a set of tenor low GCEA strings, but the tension is way too tight and the tuners won't hold, even the "new" bargain friction tuners I had on hand. Thinking of putting on some Grover geared tuners.

Anyway, looks like this is what I need...http://southcoastukes.com/csets-bar.htm

I'm wondering if there are other options for baritone GCEA low G tuning, since I don't play DGBE...

Mahalo! Hau'oli Makahiki Hou...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-28 Nunes - Martins
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

The Southern Ukulele Store over here in the UK made their own:

http://www.southernukulelestore.co.u...rio-Low-G-23U2

Just posting this for any EU based readers, got these on my bari and they work well.

^^^ That might be the best option, I can get a set of GCEA Aquilas for a baritone and that Low G string from https://www.stringsbymail.com/daddar...tring-214.html With shipping, it's a little more than $10...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-28 Nunes - Martins

I do not see any interest to set up a baritone in low G. The standard tune of a baritone is Low D (DGBE), why do you want to tune it in GCEA ?

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Ukepicker View Post
    I do not see any interest to set up a baritone in low G. The standard tune of a baritone is Low D (DGBE), why do you want to tune it in GCEA ?
    Because that's what I know how to play!
    Just Play

Should you play from tablature, DGBE or GCEA are played exactly the same way !

I tried linear GCEA once on a baritone and the tension was uncomfortably high. It sounds weak and crappy too.
    If I read Southcoast’s site correctly, linear Bb Or A might be the way to go. Then you can always capo up 2 or 3 frets if you’re playing with others.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

I have Living Waters high D strings on a laminate Ohana baritone that sound really, really good.
    cletus

Thread Information