Low G Baritone Strings (GCEA) Options?

Paul December

Reaction score
I've got a baritone on the way and plan to re-string her GCEA (low G)...
...what are my options?
I've heard a lot about Southcoast Uke strings, but their site isn't that clear (they really should dumb-it-down. If they are reading these posts, IMO it takes too much thought to order any of their strings)
Does Aquila make a set? Any others?

Yeah- I will second that. The only strings made for Low G Bari are Dirks Linear set, and they are fantastic. Aquila makes only high G and they were, in my estimation, underwhelming.
That and Dirk is about the coolest guy you will ever do business with- I can promise that.

Yeah- I will second that. The only strings made for Low G Bari are Dirks Linear set, and they are fantastic. Aquila makes only high G and they were, in my estimation, underwhelming.
That and Dirk is about the coolest guy you will ever do business with- I can promise that.

Is Dirk with Southcoast Ukes?

Linear is what you want, low to high GCEA, not gCEA, 17" scale is a tenor and he is recommending that you tune it to D, 20" is for your baritone and you would tune it to C like you want to. $8.25 a pack and he'll priority mail it to you, you'll get it in a few days.

Hello Paul,

No, sorry, we are the only ones to make a set like that. I can't really understand why, as that tuning is a natural for a Baritone.

We sell with Paypal, but then so do a lot of others. Is it not working correctly?

I know that we don't sell a "Tenor Ukulele" set, or in this case a "Baritone Low G GCEA No-Wound" set; that's because this set is also a great set for a Tenor in low 4th D tuning. I guess we could just take all our sets and package them with 2-4 different names? At any rate here is the link to the strings you are looking for:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide_files/linuke.htm

The common perception in the musical world is that ukulele players are not true musicians at all, and I know that a lot of people are attracted to the ukulele because of it's relative simplicity.

I don't think, however, that the ukulele is a "simple instrument for simpletons". Tuning terminology in the ukulele world is often imprecise, misleading or innacurate. On the first page of our string section, and on every single string page, we practically implore people to take a few moments to read the page on "Tunings & Terminology":

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide_files/tunings.htm

Take just a little time to read through it - once only. We've tried to put a basic understanding of tunings into as short a space as possible. It doesn't seem to me like our site would take much thought after digesting this, and it would help you in your choice of strings and your uderstanding of your instrument whether you bought from us or not.

Thanks for the contact Dirk, I appreciate it.
I will be ordering a set right away.
My point... if you don't mind... was that IMO your website gives too much info. Possibly I missed it, but it would be far easier for someone to simply click "Low G, Baritone Uke strings" as an option.
It would easier for idiots like me.

Hello Paul,

No, sorry, we are the only ones to make a set like that. I can't really understand why, as that tuning is a natural for a Baritone.

We sell with Paypal, but then so do a lot of others. Is it not working correctly?

I know that we don't sell a "Tenor Ukulele" set, or in this case a "Baritone Low G GCEA No-Wound" set; that's because this set is also a great set for a Tenor in low 4th D tuning. I guess we could just take all our sets and package them with 2-4 different names? At any rate here is the link to the strings you are looking for:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide_files/linuke.htm

The common perception in the musical world is that ukulele players are not true musicians at all, and I know that a lot of people are attracted to the ukulele because of it's relative simplicity.

I don't think, however, that the ukulele is a "simple instrument for simpletons". Tuning terminology in the ukulele world is often imprecise, misleading or innacurate. On the first page of our string section, and on every single string page, we practically implore people to take a few moments to read the page on "Tunings & Terminology":

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide_files/tunings.htm

Take just a little time to read through it - once only. We've tried to put a basic understanding of tunings into as short a space as possible. It doesn't seem to me like our site would take much thought after digesting this, and it would help you in your choice of strings and your uderstanding of your instrument whether you bought from us or not.

...It would easier for idiots like me.

Looking forward to your order, Paul, and I refuse to accept that your are an idiot!

As I said, take a few minutes to go through the tunings page. I appreciate the advice, but I am probably going to expand it - put more info there to clarify what key names for tunings actually signify.

If I were to take your sugesstion, I really would have to give each set 2-4 different names. The Medium gauge set would be become "High Tension High Re-entrant C Tuning Tenor" & "Medium Tension High Re-entrant B flat Tenor", "Medium Tension High Re-entrant C Tuning Concert" and a few more. This would get confusing even to me. Understand a little basic terminology, and the way we do things is actually simpler.

Look at all the questions on this site, for example, about putting "Tenor" strings on a Concert, etc., etc. Truth is, there are really no such things as "Tenor" strings, they're just a string company's educated guess as to what will sound good and feel good on your Tenor. We like to put more of that judgement in your hands.

Last edited:
See- no one else is going to help you out like that.
You are going to love these strings Paul. They are worth their weight in gold, and absolutely perfect in voice for a Baritone.

You give me too much credit! :)
I'll actually be ordering 2 sets:
Low G Baritone
and
Low G Tenor ... do you make a set with G cC E aA ?

Looking forward to your order, Paul, and I refuse to accept that your are an idiot!

As I said, take a few minutes to go through the tunings page. I appreciate the advice, but I am probably going to expand it - put more info there to clarify what key names for tunings actually signify.

If I were to take your sugesstion, I really would have to give each set 2-4 different names. The Medium gauge set would be become "High Tension High Re-entrant C Tuning Tenor" & "Medium Tension High Re-entrant B flat Tenor", "Medium Tension High Re-entrant C Tuning Concert" and a few more. This would get confusing even to me. Understand a little basic terminology, and the way we do things is actually simpler.

Look at all the questions on this site, for example, about putting "Tenor" strings on a Concert, etc., etc. Truth is, there are really no such things as "Tenor" strings, they're just a string company's educated guess as to what will sound good and feel good on your Tenor. We like to put more of that judgement in your hands.

You give me too much credit! :)
... do you make a set with G cC E aA ?

Doesn't look like I'm giving you too much credit at all. If I read you right, that's a six string set, and no, we don't make that configuration. I thought I had all the bases covered for 6 strings - look at this recent post:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...36-Southcoast-Eight-String-set-on-my-6-string

Usually when people want a low 4th, they're not using a low 1st. However, there's no reason not to do it - should sound fine. Unfortunately, you'd have to buy two sets of strings. An eight string set will have the low G, and a six string set will have the low A.

Tell you what - drop me an e-mail: southcoast@inbox.com - myaybe I can help.

email on-the-way :)

Doesn't look like I'm giving you too much credit at all. If I read you right, that's a six string set, and no, we don't make that configuration. I thought I had all the bases covered for 6 strings - look at this recent post:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...36-Southcoast-Eight-String-set-on-my-6-string

Usually when people want a low 4th, they're not using a low 1st. However, there's no reason not to do it - should sound fine. Unfortunately, you'd have to buy two sets of strings. An eight string set will have the low G, and a six string set will have the low A.

Tell you what - drop me an e-mail: southcoast@inbox.com - myaybe I can help.

I cannot figure out how to buy alternative tuning strings on Southcoast either.
I see unwound versus wound, but the rest of the page leaves me bewildered (untrained musician here so the listed keys aren't real helpful to me.)
I'd really like to see a set that says Low gCEA Baritone and another that says High GCEA baritone, click on each, and purchase... I'd probably throw in a High DGBE if I saw that one too.
Maybe I need tri-focals (!!)

I cannot figure out how to buy alternative tuning strings on Southcoast either.
I see unwound versus wound, but the rest of the page leaves me bewildered (untrained musician here so the listed keys aren't real helpful to me.)
I'd really like to see a set that says Low gCEA Baritone and another that says High GCEA baritone, click on each, and purchase... I'd probably throw in a High DGBE if I saw that one too.
Maybe I need tri-focals (!!)

I can't help you, but have to say that you're not the only one confused by the page.

Wow – old thread. But some things never change.

You wouldn’t believe how often we run into this. The answer is simple “Patience”. There is a page called “String Sets”. You have to go through it to get to the pages that have strings for sale. In big letters, it implores you to read the “Quick Guide to Selection". Only 4 very easy things to know to select string sets. A lot of folks know the first three already, but for those who don’t; there are short concise explanations of what

1) The “form” of your tuning is (reentrant, etc.)

2) The Key of your tuning is (short explanation: the name of your 3rd string –and in case you don’t know strings by numbers, there’s a clickable Ukulele that shows that).

3) The scale of your instrument (same clickable Ukulele).

4) How to read the tension charts (a sample chart is shown).

After you leave that page you come to another page with all the Categories (Linear, Reentrant, etc.) At the top of that page it again implores you in BIG letters to be sure you’ve read the “Quick Guide” on the String Sets page. It says you won’t be able to select strings if you haven’t read it. There’s then a link to take you back there in case you thought maybe you didn’t need to read it.

Why do we do this? Because we offer you way more choices than anybody else. The set-up Paul asked about in 2011, for example, has 4 different sets that could fit the bill – with other folks you’ll find one, or more usually, none. So with our kind of choice, you need to be able to differentiate them. Tension is an awfully important part of what makes a set right for you or your instrument, so you need to have a way to define it.

Finally, remember that because you want a certain tuning on your Ukulele does not mean everyone is looking for the same thing. That’s why the sets are also rated for different tunings. The thing we get sometimes is why can’t there be just an “xxx” set. “Use my terminology - I know what it means to me!” But it is written out in a way that might make sense to that buyer, yet is guaranteed to confuse the next. Remember, while in Paul’s case there are 4 sets that would work for him, they also serve other purposes.

It just comes down to “Do you want a Choice?” If so, we have to give you a way to choose. We’re not the “Model T Ukulele Company”: black (one choice) only. So “Patience” ! And not much. It takes only a few minutes to read the “Quick Guide”, and then a world of possibility – unlike anything you’ll find anywhere else, opens up.

Or take the more expensive route: buy set after set after set after set of “Model T” strings that don’t offer choices or even clues as to what you’re getting - maybe one day you’ll hit on one you like.

Last edited:
Don't give up!!!! Yes the choices are huge (and can lead to confusion) BUT Southcoast strings are fantastic, and well worth a bit of navigation. And to top it off, Dirk is a great guy to deal with - he helped me recently with a string quandary in the most professional and friendly way.
I have a small fleet of ukes - I have found that there is no "one string to rule them all", but several of them wear Southcoast strings because the choices they offer gave me the sound and play-ability I wanted.

Linear is what you want, low to high GCEA, not gCEA, 17" scale is a tenor and he is recommending that you tune it to D, 20" is for your baritone and you would tune it to C like you want to. $8.25 a pack and he'll priority mail it to you, you'll get it in a few days.

I have to say I find the site a bit confusing as well. I dont see any linear string sets for $8.25 a pack, but maybe I miss it. What is the model # of the strings? Cheapest I see are the LL-NW's for $10.00. I would like to try linear GCEA tuning on my 20" scale baritone, but not sure which strings to try. I think I like a heavier gauge , but all the heavier gauges say not recommended for 20" scale. Only the LML-RW (medium light) seems to fit the bill (or the lighter LL). I prefer wound, which these are. And these are $17.85 per set.

Sounds like you found everything O.K. Two plain sets - different tensions - a double wound LML and single wound LL (different tensions again).

As far as price, remember this thread started 5 years ago. I'm sure the $8.25 set then is the LL-NW set - $10.00 now as you noted. Wound strings add cost in and of themselves, then take into account that all our wounds strings are polished (more cost) and finally that there are two different ways we polish. With some material we do a very large scale method, with other material we have to use a slower small batch method that's more costly. You can easily see which is which.

And finally as far as heavier gauges, we have them, of course, but heavier gauges will mean a lower tuning. Remember that if you're going to always tune to the same key (C in this instance) that to keep the same relative tension, you'll need heavier gauges as the scale gets shorter, lighter gauges as it gets longer. So - 20" scale - longer than 17", for example; then if both are tuned to C and tension is kept the same, the 20" scale will need lighter gauges.

That's what you saw on the little clickable tension charts.

Top Bottom