Resonator Baritone Uke?

Lalz

Reaction score
I'm curious, what uke-makers sell resonator ukuleles in baritone size? I've only seen 2-3 videos on Youtube of people playing this. I'm a bit surprised because I'd imagined such a model would be more popular than it is, as the low notes and the reso tone sound really good together...

Hmmm, never seen one advertised or being played. Will have to go on YouTube and check them out....I did, none of them a production model. Looks like a tenor with a baritone scale length due to the resonator placement. Make your own...convert a tenor or a baritone!

Last edited:
Mya Moe made a sweet baritone resonator for Lil Rev .

Well, in a general sense, Baritone resonator ukes aside... resonator ukes themselves aren't particularly popular in my observation.

Last edited:
Hmm, you guys are right. I keep forgetting that the ukulele is a relatively new instrument and that not all possible models exist yet nor are potentially popular enough to hit the mass market :)

Savagehenry, those baritone resos that Mya-Moe makes are really lovely!! :drool: I wish I had the budget for it.

Seems like the UK-based company that makes Delta Resonator Cones might start making some too: www.blackboxresonators.co.uk, at least according to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71M1DzoxkAM
Hope they're not too expensive!!

Funny, I never thought I'd be into baritone ukes until the idea of getting a reso one crossed my mind the other day hehe

Hi guys I would love a baritone resso and was thinking of trying to put a cone and coverplate on my clear water uke aspecially as I got a b class buy,Im'e still trying to find the fault.I have measured it to see wether a cone will fit but it would go right up to the sound hole . Ant sugestions how I could do it Mal (UK)

Resurrecting a very old thread! Found it because I have been "stalking" my friend Lalz now that I have found her on UU :cheers:

And, using the UU Custom Search, this does not seem to be subject that has been done to death in the meantime :)

As Lalz knows, I have got a "Squillum" :)

This is a custom, Bari-scale (21.75" scale) wooden resonator that was made as an "experiment" by Kevin Parsons in Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. Kevin made it to take steel strings but will also work with high tension classical strings - and I love it!

I tune it DGBE (low D) and have had Guitar steel strings and Tenor Banjo steel strings on it. However, I am not really that keen on steel strings on an acoustic instrument so I have now got Thomastik-Infeld classical flats on it. I guess that nudges it more towards the sound of a Bari-scale equivalent of a Del Vecchio Dinamico than a Bari scale version of a traditional resonator guitar. Next time I am itching for a string change I am going to try Savarez plastic wound Guitar strings as I really like them on an old Kingston Baritone that I have got tuned DGBE and they will feel less like steel strings than the Thomastik flats do at high tension.

In the past, I have got a lot of flack for saying that I used steel strings on this instrument so, to repeat, it was built to take steel strings. It is not a random Baritone that I have decided on some mad whim to set up with steel strings :)

I have also have people try to tell me that it is "really" a Tenor Guitar, ie. because it can take steel strings. While the scale length hovers between Baritone scale and Tenor Guitar scale, the neck width is very much Baritone rather than Tenor Guitar and the body is more consistent with a Baritone Ukulele rather than a Tenor Guitar.

I got really fed up with having to deal with the steel string and Tenor Guitar challenges every time I mentioned this instrument or played it in public so I asked Kevin what he would call it, and he said, "A Squillum" - so that is what it is :)

The only recording I have got is from when it had Guitar steel strings on it.

With the Thomastik flats it sounds less "brash". There was nothing wrong with the sound of it, to my ears, with Guitar strings except for the D string, which was a bit dull and thunky. Sound-wise, the Tenor Banjo steel strings probably suited it better overall than the Guitar steel strings but at that time I was looking for a "heavier" sound, veering more towards a banjo than a Del Vecchio Dinamico. I have mellowed :)

2017-08-21 Parsons Baritone Resonator collage.jpg

I am surprised that Baritone Resonators are rare as hen's teeth. Baritones seem to be getting a lot more popular lately in general so maybe we might see more of these around in future.

Best wishes,

Liz

Top Bottom