Alulu Ukes? Heard of them? Ripoff?

I have had my Alulu for about 6 months and I have had a lot of positive comments on both the sond and the look of it. It has become my goto playing uke. But I read alot about which Alulu seller to buy from before I bought. I ended up buying from Taisamlu on Ebay.
Rita

That's who I bought mine from. They got a lot of positives in the previous posts on this thread.

I'm contemplating an Alulu solid acacia koa soprano from taisamlu. I like the look of it but not sure if I should pull the trigger for $200 or if there's something better I should get for that amount.

I'm contemplating an Alulu solid acacia koa soprano from taisamlu. I like the look of it but not sure if I should pull the trigger for $200 or if there's something better I should get for that amount.

Hey wildfire. I actually bought one of those myself (have been meaning to make a review for it) and I personally like it. The only problems I've encountered with it were high action (which was solved by sanding down the saddle - problem fixed!), fretboard shrinking and making the frets scratch me (due to change in humidity so it's definitely not Alulu's fault - Should return to normal soon, I'm assuming) and the color of the wood being slightly faded in comparison to the photos (Not saying it's a bad thing, I just thought it would be darker is all).

Apart from that, a 200 dollar all solid acacia soprano with a slothead? I'd say it's bloody worth it!

How do you figure out how much of the saddle to sand down? And how would you determine to take down at the saddle vs at the nut? I haven't set up anything myself yet but would like to learn some of the basics so I don't have to take it to a shop for something simple.

How do you figure out how much of the saddle to sand down? And how would you determine to take down at the saddle vs at the nut? I haven't set up anything myself yet but would like to learn some of the basics so I don't have to take it to a shop for something simple.

I second this...

Update...got mine yesterday. I love it...it sounds great. It's got a bit of buzzing though...so it needs some love...but when it's all set up it will be amazing.

Congrats Concertina on your new acquisition. I hope you fix the buzzing issue and enjoy it.

Fixed it! It's amazing! I love this uke! Boy is the neck wide!!! Giving my hands a stretch...but it sounds so sweet!!

mine has a buzz on the A srtring but I have determined that the second fret is not seated all the way on the A side of the fretoard so when I change strings Iwill seat it or sand it lightly depending on need. other than that the action is fine. I am going to order some Living Waters strings for it because it already sounds good with Aquilas and I am hoping even sweeter with the new ones, but I will let you know.
Rita

I'm not exactly sure how to explain it but other members would definitely have some info on it. I'm sure if you search about set ups on the site, you'll find some helpful links!

My understanding is that ideally, you want between 2 - 3 mm of space between the top of the 12th fret and the bottom of the string. If you're sanding down the saddle, you need to sand down 2x the amount by which you want to lower the string @ the 12th fret. So - if you want to lower the string .5 mm @ the 12th fret, you need to sand 1 mm off the saddle. It's also my understanding that you want a minimum of 2 mm of saddle extending above the top of the bridge -

If this is not right, I'd love to be set straight before I do too much damage somewhere along the way!

I just got one of these today, a tenor with MOP and abalone inlay. Looks gorgeous, sounds sweet and the action is perfect. I couldn't be happier. Bought it from Taisamlu on ebay. Arrived 10 days after I paid for it, so fast shipping. Well packed and came with a hard case. The shipping price almost put me off, but I just bought my daughter a Luna concert in maple and it cost more and I still had to buck up for a hard case for it. Th alulu was a great deal.

While this is a relatively old thread...

Do any of you still have your Alulu ukes? Do you still like them? Did any issues show up after your initial post in this thread?

I realize they are only $300 and some people here spend 10x that much on a uke without thinking about it, but I would like to get another all solid Tenor Uke, and this would be cheaper than any other option and include the Hardcase.

I have a few older Alulu ukuleles that are still going fine. I've had some minor wood movement on one of them but nothing out of line with ANYTHING else you could buy.

Now of course thats the old ones and I haven't bought a new one for a while so who knows? I think that they are great value for money. No more perfect than buying a Kala.

Anthony

Top Bottom