Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Auntie Maggie's Remedy" - George Formby

Default "Auntie Maggie's Remedy" - George Formby

Howdo folks - doing my head in this one, I'm after the chords for this if poss.

Although there seems to be a lot of Formby lyrics on the net, there only seems to be a few songs that are tabbed/chorded.

If anyone can help out I'd br grateful - also if you know any good sites for GF music.

Appreciated.

Neil

I think your problem is that George Formby's music has a very small number of listeners now and none of the regular chord sites will have music like this. There is still a George Formby Society. Why not contact them?
    KEN

Ken Middleton Ukulele

http://www.KenMiddleton.co.uk

For Living Water Strings go to http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx

For Ohana related comments, observations and questions, email me at ken@ohana-music.com

Remember: a ukulele is forever.

Cheers Ken!

They also have a local group who meet once a month, I'll prob. enquire there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Middleton View Post
    I think your problem is that George Formby's music has a very small number of listeners now and none of the regular chord sites will have music like this. There is still a George Formby Society. Why not contact them?
    I agree with contacting GFS. They have Auntie Maggie's Remedy music in the GEORGE FORMBY SONGBOOK NO 1
    that they sell through their store for 11.75. TABS, not sure about. Haven't seen many TABS at all for Formby. If you are looking for TABS or sheet music of Georges instrumental solos, I haven't seen those available anywhere!
    ---Tom---

Soprano, No Brand Name, Beginner Uke
    Soprano, Long Neck (Concert scale), KALA KS-SLNG
    Soprano, OHANA, SK-38
    Soprano, Long Neck (Concert scale), KoALOHA
    Concert, OHANA, CK-35G
    Tenor, OHANA, TK-80
    Soprano, GOLD TONE, Banjolele

I had a look at the video. I couldn't take more than a minute or so. However, I found that he played it in the key of Bb. In C tuning he starts with an F shape followed by a C7 shape and back to an F shape. This means that either his uke is in F tuning (c F A D), which would be a bit unusual, or he is miming to the recording in a different key to the key he is playing. Sorry I couldn't listen to any more, his voice has the same effect on me as a dentist's drill.

Something like this:

Bb / / / |F7 / / / |F7 / / / |Bb6 / / / |D7 / / / |Gm / / / |C7 / / / |F7 / / / | etc.
    KEN

Ken Middleton Ukulele

http://www.KenMiddleton.co.uk

For Living Water Strings go to http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx

For Ohana related comments, observations and questions, email me at ken@ohana-music.com

Remember: a ukulele is forever.

Cheers Ken!

I know what you mean - my mum can't stand the feller - all the "hee hees" and "Oooh mother"s - I like it, but then again, I've often been defined as 'not reet in th'ed' anyhow!

I have seen another version too after much searching, but I'll def. give the version you put a try!

Ken's on the money there - those are definately the shapes he's playing. Often his clips come out in funny keys - I suspect it's a mixture of fairly random tuning plus possibly dodgy film speeds. He may well have been playing tuned to D# or E but then pushed up a bit more by the speed the clip's running at. As always with Formby it's the shapes that matter rather than the final chord. It's generally easier to sing his songs pitched a bit lower anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Ambient Doughnut View Post
    It's generally easier to sing his songs pitched a bit lower anyway
    Agreed it's either that or I fill up on helium before singing eh?

I like George Formby and he was a very good ukulele player

Default A little late to the party

I know this thread has been going some time now, but every now and again I decide to have another go at finding the chords for this song and always stumble across this post. I have now spent a little time trying to work the chords out and I think I'm pretty close. I thought I would post them on here in the hope that they may help someone, so I hope they do.

Ken definitely did the hard part, all I did was just re-arrange the chords for the different sections. I used a guitar to work them out so let me know what you think.

(There's All Sorts of remedies......)
    Bb / / / |F7 / / / |F7 / / / |Bb / / / |D7 / / / |Gm / / / |C7 / / / |F7 / / / |

(It's My Auntie Maggies Home made.....)
    |Bb / / / |F7 / Bb / |Bb / / /|D7 / / / |D7 / / / |Gm / / /|C7 / / /|F7 / / /|

(If You've got Lubago, rheumatics....)
    |Bb / / /|Bb / / / |Bb / / / | D7 / / /|Gm / / / |Bb / Gm / |C7 / F7 / |Bb / / /|

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense, I tried to upload a word doc but it wouldn't work, if anyone wants it, then give me an email address and I'll happily send it.

Thanks to Ken

Thread Information