WTB: Tenor under $400

cashmoney805

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm looking to buy a Tenor for under $400 shipped. I haven't had the chance to play many, but so far I'm a fan of the Pono MT. Just wanted to see if anyone was looking to get rid of a tenor. Shipping would be to San Francisco.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. Checked it out and am just waiting for some more information. I'm not familiar with Big Island ukes.

I have a Kala Acacia Tenor with the Open Headstock that I am going to have to sell(insert frowny face!) It would be well under $400 shipped and is super nice and one of those Best Bang for your Buck types.

Please let me know when you're going to be selling it, and maybe we can work something out. Is it going to be any time soon?

Big Island are a Hawai'ian company that has the ukes made in Asia and finished on Hawai'i. Other folks on UU have said really great things about their ukes. I've played a couple of their koa models (not the mahog like the one in the marketplace), and was really impressed with everything about them - from the look to the sound. And at $290 with a case and shipping, that's almost like you're breaking into the guy's house and robbing him.

That said, that Kala that Mouthy has is also really sweet. Acacia is a relative of koa (not the same, but similar) so it might sound more koa-like (brighter and more island kine) than the mahog. Plus, the slotted headstock on that is pretty cool.

If you get either of these you'll be very happy.

It's a shame I can't play either of them beforehand. Always hard buying instruments before playing them.

There's a BIg Island tenor on For Sale UU now for $290, incl shipping and case.

I know and understand about the not being able to play ahead of time. Real bummer. I will take it back minus shipping of course if you don't love it. Someone said that to me once and I really appreciated it. I will PM you will more info. I don't have any pic's this second but I could shoot some over to you. I have had it the longest of all my ukes and never intended to sell it but I just put my wife over the edge with my custom Redwood/Myrtle and I can't take the pressure so I let a Pono go and now this and a Tall Grass. Anyway, I will PM you with details. It still looks brand new and MGM set it up perfectly. I was playing it last night for 2 hours. Still love it.

I know and understand about the not being able to play ahead of time. Real bummer. I will take it back minus shipping of course if you don't love it. Someone said that to me once and I really appreciated it. I will PM you will more info. I don't have any pic's this second but I could shoot some over to you. I have had it the longest of all my ukes and never intended to sell it but I just put my wife over the edge with my custom Redwood/Myrtle and I can't take the pressure so I let a Pono go and now this and a Tall Grass. Anyway, I will PM you with details. It still looks brand new and MGM set it up perfectly. I was playing it last night for 2 hours. Still love it.
Sounds good, and I really appreciate you offering to take it back. I'll keep an eye out for that PM.

No, not yet but I am about to go insane while waiting!!! Out for delivery today though so I know it will be in very close proximity to my house today. I will email you guys when it is in my hands.

Perry and Terry Bullinger made the custom. Review to come!

[...] so I let a Pono go and now this and a Tall Grass.

Wow, too bad about that, but then again, you may be at one of those Carrying Capacity limits (to use a population biology term). That doesn't make it any easier, though, does it? For what it's worth, I bought the Tall Grass myself with the intent of giving it away as an xmas present. I'm still going to, but every now and then while I've got it I pick it up and I know I'm going to miss it when it's gone. Though, it is better this way. I still can't believe the price on that, and after stringing it with Worth clears it sounds divine.

Last edited:
I have so many ukes right now so i guess I can get over pretty quickly. I play my Boat Paddle Cedartop and my Mainland Cedartop alot and any of the Kanilea's I know I am super excited about my new Terry and Perry Uke that arrives today!!!

I know that Music Village in San Jose carries the Kala Acacia tenor with the slotted head stock. Guitar Showcase in San Jose also carries a number of tenor ukes - many in your price range. There are probably a number of music stores in SF that have these ukes, and you can play them, then decide if buying them from that vendor is what you want to do, or if you need to order from someone else.

(I don't live in the Bay Area - my wife is from there, so I am a frequent traveler. I just haven't gotten to any music stores north of San Jose, yet.)

-Kurt​

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to buy a Tenor for under $400 shipped. I haven't had the chance to play many, but so far I'm a fan of the Pono MT. Just wanted to see if anyone was looking to get rid of a tenor. Shipping would be to San Francisco.

Thanks.

Top Bottom