Your portable amp choice

atypical

Reaction score
My definition of a portable amp is
- I can carry it more than 100 yards without a cart or a car.
- I don't need a power outlet to use it.

I would categorize portable amps in three categories.

1. can be put in a gigbag
- VOX amPlug with earbud
- AmpUPlugNPlay (it has a speaker)

2. can be put in a backpack: weighs less than 2 pounds
- Danelecto HoneyTone seems to the most popular one in this forum. (weighs 1 pound)
- Orange Micro Crush CR3 has tuner and seems has better sound with non-plastic housing and bigger magnet. It weighs 2 pounds though.

You can find more with reviews at "Measuring Up Micro Amps" ( http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/May/Measuring_Up_Micro_Amps.aspx?Page=1 )

3. can carry separately
- Roland Micro Cube: seems the most popular one
- VOX MINI3: there are 11 models, and non-distorting clean model is included
- VOX DAS5: separate MIC input
- Roland Mobile Cube: has a channel for an acoustic instrument.
- Line 6 Micro Spider
- Roland AC-33: amp for acoustic instrument! more expensive than the above

What is your choice in each category?

Last edited:
I've got the Honeytone. But I can't say it's better than the others, since I don't know anything about them. The Honeytone works pretty good, though. It has a belt clip, and a headphone jack.

I've been happy with my Smokey. Cheap ($30), ultra portable (fits in a cigarette box), light. Sound? Raspy but loud enough. Using a short cable (pick up cable??), I just let it hang from my Eleuke Peanut. Does the trick for me.

I have a honeytone that I use when I take my eleuke to uke night and Love my vox mini3 (it's my favorite has a great sound, uses batteries, easy to cart around...)

I have a Line 6 Micro Spider. Good for my needs.

I'd add the Roland AC-33 to the list (no personal experience, but I've heard lots of good things).

In cat.3 I've got a Vox DA5. Vox updated these and made the Mini3. Onboard effects are fun, decent quality considering price and size. Didn't like the Roland Micro's, the Marshall MG2FX had less features than the Vox.

In the other cat. I don't have any experience. If it has to be small I'll hook up on some MP3-player speakers.

I added Line 6 Micro Spider, VOX DA5, and Roland AC-33 in cat 3. It seems there are many in this category.
I also added a link to a review of 7 micro amps(cat 2). It covers Smokey Mini Amp.

AmpUPlugNPlay in the gig bag for my Risa Concert Stick.

Lil Smokey in my husband's Tenor Eleuke gig bag.

The Danelecto HoneyTone is our "rover" mini amp.

The VOX-DA5 is in the living room, between our recliners, with our Applause Tenor leaning against it.

I've got a Fender ampcan I realy like , it kind of heavy but very loud, has a rechargable battery in it

I had never seen them before, but at the Kahumoku camp in Pahala, Keoki had a Crate TX15. We used it for a mic at the morning circle and then James Hill and I abused it trying to figure some techno stuff out on his 'ukulele. You plug the TX15 into the wall, so you don't have to change and throw away batteries. It's loud, sounds pretty good, and the charge lasts for a long time. I was super impressed.

http://www.crateamps.com/products/pindex.php?prodID=25

Top Bottom