Your portable amp choice

DV019_Jpg_Regular_583400_m02_handle.jpg

DV019_Jpg_Regular_583400_back_angle.jpg

DV019_Jpg_Regular_583400_side.jpg

DV019_Jpg_Regular_583400_with_player.jpg

Last edited:
For something a bit alternative you should check out the JukeCase portable guitar amp by Son Valise. A portable suitcase guitar amp with up to 40 hours playtime at 50W (rechargeable battery) and awesome sound, all the way up the range. My friend got one and you can play your backing track via Bluetooth whilst playing guitar/singing over the top. They look awesome are pretty lightweight (5-10kg)

Read about it here: JukeCase portable guitar amp

Guitar-amp-vintage-suitcase-speaker-JukeCase-boombox-portable-audio.jpg

Go for the Roland. It's an accoustic stereo amp. I have one, sounds great. Mine is an ac 40 which I adapted to run on battery, it's cheaper than the ac 33 which has more features such as I believe a looper so it is probablly worth spending the extra cash.

I recently purchase the Roland AC33 and just started using it for gigs. Very lightweight, can be battery operated, has 2 inputs (1 for uke and 1 for Mic)
Has a looper which I don't use but it does the trick and works well. Use it for one room venues like Nursing Home/Senior Center.
I haven't tried any of the others, but I am extremely happy with the sound and portability of this one.

In size order from small to large, I have a ...

honeytone

microcube

aleysis dual input pa system (batter operated)

I'd like a setup like Uncle Elvis's, but it is really too heavy for me.

Since this thread has been brought back I will chime in. Originally, I bought a Fishman loudbox mini. A year later I bought a Roland AC-33. The Roland has battery option,plenty of power,looper,and I can shape the sound/tone the way I like with the controls. Also, it is super light and portable. I plug my ukulele in, and my shure sm58. I sold my Fishman. The Fishman was a very good amp, but the Roland AC-33 makes me super happy.

I've got a risa stick and a honeytone that I use for traveling. Gives me about 2/3's more space than a soprano in a gig bag and unplugged the stick is quiet enough for the thinnest walled hotels. The honeytone has nice enough sound on its own or you can plug it into headphones or a decent set of speakers for a warmer sound. Have a microcube as well but wouldn't consider it truly portable. I wouldn't want to be carrying it in a backpack, more like something you throw in the car to take to the beach house.

I've been using a Marshall MS-4. It's absolutely tiny but has two speakers and actually sounds pretty good! I've been using a cherub clip on pickup and I was extremely surprised how good it sounds. I can transfer it from uke to uke and not have to drill holes. positiong of the pickup provides different sounds as well. Overall for the amp and pickup it was less than 50 bucks :)

The November issue of the magazine, Acoustic Guitar, has a feature called "Plugging In" with recommendations for small amps, DI boxes and effect pedals. The five compact amps they review and recomend are, Fender Acoustasonic 150, Dean Markey Ultrasound, Fisman Loudbox Artist, AER Compact 60/3 and, Roland AC-40. I would suggest searching the many acoustic guitar forums - there are many very good ones - where it is possible to find a great deal of info and experiences with small amps that is directly revelant to ukulele players.

Top Bottom