Song Help Request George Formby - The Practice Piece (solo from 'I told my baby with the ukulele')

I'm not there yet, for sure! I'm still trying to figure-out how to play a uke not tuned in C.

Belter! :) thanks muchly - that will help big style :) I've seen a few online, but not slowed down.

Glad he plays it in c too - I've tried playing stuff in different tunings but I'm happier with this one.

Reeto - better get practicing!

Thanks again

:)

I'm not there yet, for sure! I'm still trying to figure-out how to play a uke not tuned in C.

I feel your pain - I'm tuned in D (A, D, F#, B) and it's a right pain - OK for When I'm Cleaning Windows, Sitting On The Top Of Blackpool Tower, Chinese Laundry Blues and a few others, but generally everything else is in C :rolleyes:

I feel your pain - I'm tuned in D (A, D, F#, B) and it's a right pain - OK for When I'm Cleaning Windows, Sitting On The Top Of Blackpool Tower, Chinese Laundry Blues and a few others, but generally everything else is in C :rolleyes:

I've tried playing in different tunings, but always prefer C to be honest... I play "When I'm Cleaning Windows" in the same style as George (to accomodate the 'split stroke' technique more easily) but in this key instead of the higher on he played in.

As for the slowed down version of 'Practice Piece' - I'm made up!

10 mins. at it, and I've got it sort of sussed (well, part of it) - that's a godsend considering how I've been struggling to get it right - I wanted to ring in sick so I could get the practice in, but that's frowned upon apparently! :D

Ah well... in the meantime, I'll just watch this in awe for now! :D

That is a great slowed down vid - Even I have worked out a few chords/moves from it! :D I need longer fingers!!:eek:

Roberta

Hey - do like George did. Get three ukes, tune them in C, D and F.

You can now play in six open keys; problem solved.

If you hit three, she won't be able to keep track - then you're home free. I had seven at one point and I don't think she ever thought there were more than three... ;)

LOL! I had just 'hidden' one from my husband til Xmas (my Xmas present to me from him - I figured one of us may as well get a surprise!) & replaced it with the new one ....... but I think he noticed the difference in colour a little bit - but I acted dumb!! So far, I now have 4 - well, 3 really, as one is his now! :) I just couldn't wait til Xmas to play it, so swapped it with the old one & am now playing the new one! :D Not sure if that all makes sense!! :eek:

Roberta

:D Nah I couldn't - I recently bought a really lovely Ozark Uke Banjo and that and case came to just under £300!!!
Plus I've my "Melody" Uke Banjo (GH & S), my 'Lag' soprano and my Samick Concert Uke...
And mandolin...
And bass...

The guitars I own have now been shifted to make more room for the ukes lol.

Mind you - I do now want an eleuke at some point - how the HELL could I sneak one in unnoticed?

:D

I've got a few ukes (9 I think) but I don't think it's a particularly big deal to tune up or down a bit to suit a song.

If I'm just practising I just play whatever feels comfortable without really worring about what key it's in. That only really matters if you're singing or playing along with someone/something.

Incidentally Window Cleaner is never playing in D tuning. It's below C - B or B flat I think it was.

(...except of course in the movie version which is in G but that's another story)

Hello and Happy Thanksgiving to those who clelebrate it.

Since I converted the Banjolele to the Deluxe model with full resonator it is a little "much" to practice on even though I have a soponge inside. So, since I found that my Concert's neck and frets are very close to the same, I use it for some of my Banjo Uke practice.

As far as getting another one, I just bought a KoAloha long neck Soprano, so I will "force" myself to hold-off for a while. The wife counts them when she visits the Man Cave.

I need to more music theory I guess. Still having a time with playing instruments tuned differently. One would think after 10 months I would be further along than I am but my teacher knows nothing (me). I tried a teacher recommended by local music store. He can play the heck out of a blues guitar (by ear) but knows nothing about a Ukulele. That was a total waste of $. I've got the strokes down, at speed, and continue to work on putting it all together. Getting close at it.

I've got a few ukes (9 I think) but I don't think it's a particularly big deal to tune up or down a bit to suit a song.

If I'm just practising I just play whatever feels comfortable without really worring about what key it's in. That only really matters if you're singing or playing along with someone/something.

Incidentally Window Cleaner is never playing in D tuning. It's below C - B or B flat I think it was.

(...except of course in the movie version which is in G but that's another story)

Except that the music score that I have for Window Cleaner shows the uke tuning as A, D, F#, B - although the (and here's where my total lack of music knowledge shows through) 'piano tuning' - the staves with the treble clef do indeed show a key of G.

I've got that sheet music too. It's shows the tuning as A D F# B as you say and uses chords shapes that would be in the key of F in normal (C) tuning.

fine to strum along but completely unuseable for a proper formby sound. I'm certain he never played it like that.

I need to more music theory I guess. Still having a time with playing instruments tuned differently. One would think after 10 months I would be further along than I am but my teacher knows nothing (me). I tried a teacher recommended by local music store. He can play the heck out of a blues guitar (by ear) but knows nothing about a Ukulele. That was a total waste of $. I've got the strokes down, at speed, and continue to work on putting it all together. Getting close at it.

I am not alone :)

I've a friend who is truly adept at electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, harpy things and heaven knows what else, but couldn't really give me what I wanted when learning the uke. I'm still struggling on my own, trying to learn some music theory too... but last week a couple of guys at work (both excellent guitar players, and one of them also plays the banjo) let me join their 'band'. Wow! That helps - they're very patient with me (although prone to going off an improvising stuff so that I have no idea what's going on!), but for just trying to nail timing and strumming patterns it was great. We're currently working on Man Of Constant Sorrow by the Soggy Bottom Boys.

Sometimes I can even keep up ;0)

David.

Well that vid really helped! :) Am getting the technique now and speeding up when I get chance - also sounds good on my soprano uke.

I've also downloaded it, and repeated in over and over to make a 15 mins. file - I've burned it on DVD and will use that to play along with too.

Best of it is - now I've more or less 'got it' I've been doing variations and transposing - great fun!

Great idea, Ukelad! I must do that too!! I've downloaded it am going to put it on DVD for replay, but like you, will put it on numerous times, for continuous play!

Thanks - I think I have the first 4-5 chords worked out!! This may take me quite a while!! :eek:

Roberta

Top Bottom