Worth Clear vs. Worth Brown?

jgeary

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I checked the diameter of the Worth clear (tenor) strings and the Worth brown. Same specs (although I've not found any info re: the tension of either). So, what's the difference? Do they sound, feel, or play differently? Aren't the browns fluro-carbon also?

Jill

From my experience, the Browns (medium low G) felt a lot softer (less tension) than the Worth Clears. A little more deeper bass than the Clears but not as much as the Aquila wound low G. I tried finger picking on Worth Brown and it didn't really work for me. For strumming it's easy on the fingers and plays nicely.

I'm currently using CD-LG on my concert uke and CT-LG on my tenor and it seems a lot more "balanced" for my liking. Going to order some CD (reentrant) for my concert and CT-LGHD (hard low G) for my tenor.

Forgot: I had the Clear low g mediums (CM-LG) as well and as AC Baltimore below mentioned, it is less mellow but feels the same. The clears seem to fall in between the Brown and Aquila.

Last edited:
I asked myself the same question and he said self, its 20 bucks. buy one of each and find out. so I did lol. I heard they are the same string with the brown being a tad more mellow.

Hi Trinimon

So, if the browns feel 'softer' do you suspect they would be easier on my left hand, as I'm recovering (slowly) from an injury?

Thanks!

Jill

I agree with Trinimon about the feel, tension, etc of the Clear vs Browns. That said, I've found that all that being given, the browns actually sound better (a clearer, cleaner note) than the clears on my Kanile'a. And, (though not directly relevant to this topic), that Fremont Blacklines have a very similar feel to the Browns, but sound even better still.

It just goes to show that each uke is individual, and will likely respond differently to the same strings as another. Makes trying out different sets a lot more fun!

They're easier on the fretting fingers than Aquilas. Sorry to hear about the injury.

Hi Trinimon

So, if the browns feel 'softer' do you suspect they would be easier on my left hand, as I'm recovering (slowly) from an injury?

Thanks!

Jill

The browns may feel a little softer, but this very difficult to quantify because they are the same diameter as the corresponding clear strings. They certainly have a slightly mellower sound and the clears are a tad brighter. However, there is precious little in it. Even the head of Worth says that the difference is mainly cosmetic.

Both a good strings and very similar to other fluorocarbon strings. I use the Worth clears, unless the browns look better and they do look superb on my Howlett custom.

My advice: put either on and then play the uke. Enjoy the uke and don't worry too much about the strings. They don't matter that much anyway. The most important variable in determining a use's tone is the player.

I tried Worth Clears and Browns on my Kala cedar top. The clears had more clarity and felt like they had a bit more tension. The browns had a less clarity with a bit more warmth. On my Kala, I preferred the clears and thought that the browns just didn't sound crisp and clear enough. Of course this will all vary from uke to uke.

I will +1 the tension issue. I have Worth clears on my Curly Koa and they are much softer and more playable than the Aquila's I have on one of my other ukes. I am actually surprised to hear that the brown's are even softer. The clears produce a nice bright clear tone, but not a whole lot of "punch" (at least not on this instrument. I am thinking about putting a set of Worths on my Islander MSS-4.

Top Bottom