Thread: Good brands for Ukuleles

Default Good brands for Ukuleles

As a pianist and saxophone player I know there are certain brands in every musical instruments that stand out. Could any one advise me on the esteemed Ukulele brands as I am rather new to the ukulele world.

Cheers.

Oh wow, this can get long but in no particular order:

KoAloha
    Kamaka
    Kanile'a
    Ko'olau
    Pono (by Ko'olau)
    Kelii
    G String
    I'iwi
    Islander (by Kanlie'a)
    Valley Made
    Big Island
    Martin
    Kamoa
    Kala
    Ohana
    Mele
    aNueNue
    Lanikai
    LoPrinzi
    Brueko
    Mainland
    Sailor Brand
    Fluke

Then you got customs like

DeVine
    Moore Bettah
    Compass Rose
    Black Bear
    Mya Moe

I'm sure I prob forgot a few.

As for most esteemed it would be any of the independent luthiers in the custom list above. For more of a production line, the Hawaiian K brands (Kamaka, KoAloha, Ko'olau, Kanile'a, Kelii and I would also include G String and I'iwi) would also rank tops. Each brand has their own trademark "sound" so what might appeal to someone, may not to another.
    Last edited by Trinimon; 11-26-2011 at 02:22 PM.

High end production brands: KoAloha, Kamaka, Kalinea & G strings(now doing custom builds). And Martin, Collings in mainland.

High end customized builder: A lots, check the top two links in http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...thier-s-Lounge....

Koaloha and Kamaka. Koaloha has the "better than the weather" free lifetime warranty for any owner. No paperwork necessary, as long as it was well stored and not damaged by abuse, they fix it. Koaloha search on youtube, many videos, including of the store. Bright and loud. Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by DanyonC View Post
    As a pianist and saxophone player I know there are certain brands in every musical instruments that stand out. Could any one advise me on the esteemed Ukulele brands as I am rather new to the ukulele world.
    I would add that it also depends upon your price range. IIRC, Bundy was the budget/student line of Selmer. My first flute was a Bundy. A well made, quality instrument for its price point, but definitely not top shelf or something that a pro would play on stage.

You'll find the same thing with ukes. Many of the factory made ukes span a wide range of quality/price.

I had a Bundy (clarinet) too! Jeez that was a leap in feel and tone from that to the Buffet R13. I'd say those Hawaiian made "K Brands" are at that level.

Kanile'a dlx super concert / Koaloha concert / Ohana sk-38 / Risa Uke Solid Tenor

@Apollostowel @RockingDodars The Rocking Dodar Blog Proud to be TIGER. A REAL Tiger. All-in all the freakin' time.

If you need me I'll be on twitter, google+ or r/ukulele

Lol. I had a Vito clarinet and moved to a vintage R-13 as well. Thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Griffin Ukes. Made by a 79 yr. old luthier who lovingly makes his ukes one to three at a time. Griffinukuleles.com

Thread Information