Good brands for Ukuleles

DanyonC

Reaction score
As a pianist and saxophone player I know there are certain brands in every musical instruments that stand out. Could any one advise me on the esteemed Ukulele brands as I am rather new to the ukulele world.

Cheers. :)

Oh wow, this can get long but in no particular order:

KoAloha
Kamaka
Kanile'a
Ko'olau
Pono (by Ko'olau)
Kelii
G String
I'iwi
Islander (by Kanlie'a)
Valley Made
Big Island
Martin
Kamoa
Kala
Ohana
Mele
aNueNue
Lanikai
LoPrinzi
Brueko
Mainland
Sailor Brand
Fluke

Then you got customs like

DeVine
Moore Bettah
Compass Rose
Black Bear
Mya Moe

I'm sure I prob forgot a few.

As for most esteemed it would be any of the independent luthiers in the custom list above. For more of a production line, the Hawaiian K brands (Kamaka, KoAloha, Ko'olau, Kanile'a, Kelii and I would also include G String and I'iwi) would also rank tops. Each brand has their own trademark "sound" so what might appeal to someone, may not to another.

Last edited:
Koaloha and Kamaka. Koaloha has the "better than the weather" free lifetime warranty for any owner. No paperwork necessary, as long as it was well stored and not damaged by abuse, they fix it. Koaloha search on youtube, many videos, including of the store. Bright and loud. Fun!

As a pianist and saxophone player I know there are certain brands in every musical instruments that stand out. Could any one advise me on the esteemed Ukulele brands as I am rather new to the ukulele world.
I would add that it also depends upon your price range. IIRC, Bundy was the budget/student line of Selmer. My first flute was a Bundy. A well made, quality instrument for its price point, but definitely not top shelf or something that a pro would play on stage.

You'll find the same thing with ukes. Many of the factory made ukes span a wide range of quality/price.

I had a Bundy (clarinet) too! Jeez that was a leap in feel and tone from that to the Buffet R13. I'd say those Hawaiian made "K Brands" are at that level.

Lol. I had a Vito clarinet and moved to a vintage R-13 as well. Thought I had died and gone to heaven. :)

Top Bottom