Thread: New Zealand Ukulele Stores?

Default New Zealand Ukulele Stores?

Any Kiwi's here that would know where I could find a decent range of Ukulele's or would I have to import them?

Cheers

Depends where in NZ you are. In Wellington, the mecca is Alistair's Music on Cuba St. However, mainstream music stores like The Rockshop are stocking an increasingly interesting range from ~$40 Spongebob's up to $1400 Cole Clarks.

It depends on what you're after and what your budget is too, I guess.

In partial response to this and your other thread, NZ is traditionally a Kala stronghold, meaning that Kala and its cheaper 'Makala' line are the most readily available ukes. You can get them anywhere and they have something for most budgets. Lanikai is also making strong inroads and some of their mid to higher level kit should be considered.

There are local outfits too like Captain Ukuleles, Toadstool/Gprice, Beltona, and Kapono amongst others.
    Last edited by whetu; 11-27-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Hello, I am a Yank but have spent much time in NZ over the last 10 years. I am the proud and happy owner of a Kapono concert uke made in Auckland by John Hewitt from Hawaiian koa (he ships it in and ages it in NZ in a humidified environment).

There are other luthiers producing ukes more recently in addition to those who have been there for years (Kapono, Beltona). Check out TradeMe for a sampling of what is available. There used to be just one partial page of items. Now many more!

I bought my first uke mail order in 2005 when we were in Oz. There weren't nearly so many options back then as there are now.

Happy Uke Hunting

Kia Ora DannyonC,
    How about Captain UKuleles....Bevin is awesome to do business with.....makes awesome ukes..I bought one almost two years ago and still get raves from it from good player friends...

You could try discountmusic.co.nz too!
    I'd endorse the recommendation of Captain Ukulele - I have two of Bevan's ukes - they are cool!
    Last edited by ukulele4kids; 01-10-2012 at 09:40 AM.

You could always try www.trademe.co.nz too.

Thread Information