UAS + Flea + Firefly banjo uke

CountryMouse

Reaction score
I just got a cute Lanakai soprano banjolele...and now suddenly I've found I'm going to have some extra money, enough to buy a Flea or a Firefly! EEEEEP!

One of the groups I'm in here on UU is the 'Ukulele Whore-ders ... and with good reason (see my .sig). :eek:

I've wanted a Poiple soprano Flea (now being called Grape) for at least a year. Now could be my chance.

But I've also been really bitten hard by the banjo uke bug. Shouldn't I spend more time with my new little banjolele before adding another to the stable? AND...how would I attach a strap of some sort to the Firefly? I have (need) straps on *all* my ukuleles.

So...probably the Flea? Or wait? I am not interested in expensive hardwood ukuleles--I prefer low-maintenance ukes. I LOVE my two Makala Dolphins. I have two Flukes. Shouldn't I have two Fleas? heh. Both Flukes are concert; my denim Flea is a concert. I want a soprano Flea.

Whatever I do, I should wait until after Christmas, as I don't want to mess up anyone's ideas of what they might be getting me, although I seriously doubt anyone will be spending *that* much on me. We all set a $50 budget for presents for each other.

Intervention/enabling/advice all appreciated! :D

Mousie

I love banjo ukes, but one is enough in a nice collection of ukuleles (imho).
Why not go with a resonator, kind of between uke & banjo uke.

I love banjo ukes, but one is enough in a nice collection of ukuleles (imho).
Why not go with a resonator, kind of between uke & banjo uke.

Actually, TCK (Dave) says he has SIX banjo ukuleles! ;)

Aren't resonator ukuleles LOUD? My Lanakai banjo ukulele is not that loud, more mellow.

Also, I need to stay around (or under) $200 on my purchase.

Thanks!

Mousie

Yeah, why not wait....Kala reso ukes coming out any day. Street price should be around $249

AND...how would I attach a strap of some sort to the Firefly? I have (need) straps on *all* my ukuleles.

Good question, and I hope you get some answers! It's one of the reasons that's kept me from getting one - I can't quite figure out how to hold it comfortably without a strap.

And yes, I'll admit to needing a strap on all of my ukes too. I finally even gave in and had a strap button installed on my Kiwaya thinline last night. Fortunately the luthier didn't laugh *too* hard at my request :)

Good question, and I hope you get some answers! It's one of the reasons that's kept me from getting one - I can't quite figure out how to hold it comfortably without a strap.

And yes, I'll admit to needing a strap on all of my ukes too. I finally even gave in and had a strap button installed on my Kiwaya thinline last night. Fortunately the luthier didn't laugh *too* hard at my request :)

Lori's UkeLeash, works great with my Firefly.

Lori's UkeLeash, works great with my Firefly.

Can strap buttons be installed on the Firefly? Thought about the Uke Leash but I can't deal with anything being tethered to my person (tactile sensitivity issues here), and I don't wear belts so the belt-loop way of attaching it is out.

Can strap buttons be installed on the Firefly? Thought about the Uke Leash but I can't deal with anything being tethered to my person (tactile sensitivity issues here), and I don't wear belts so the belt-loop way of attaching it is out.

I'm with you. I beta-tested the Uke Leash, but I found it uncomfortable. And I also don't have any belt loops to attach to.

I use Velcro to attach straps to my Flukes and Fleas. Would it work on the Firefly? See this: http://dominator.ukeland.com/index.php?title=6_11_2005&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Mousie

I'm sorry, but I can't really recommend the Firefly to anyone. Ir's a drum that can't be tuned attached to a neck for $200 if I recall correctly. You could do that much cheaper by yourself lol. What I like about banjos is that there is so much you can change to make it sound different. You can't really do much with this thing. I don't think it's possible for it to stay in tune forever (the drum), also.

/end snobbery lol

I'm with you. I beta-tested the Uke Leash, but I found it uncomfortable. And I also don't have any belt loops to attach to.

I use Velcro to attach straps to my Flukes and Fleas. Would it work on the Firefly? See this: http://dominator.ukeland.com/index.php?title=6_11_2005&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Mousie

That might work, although it would end up being off-center a bit because of the hardware that holds the tailpiece on. You can see a detail of what I'm talking about here ("tailpiece detail").

I keep wondering if the fastener that holds the tailpiece on can be swapped out for a strap button somehow. Yeah, I could ask at the shop where I spend far too much time, but if the answer was YES then I'd have to buy the darned thing :) Curse you, UAS!

I'm sorry, but I can't really recommend the Firefly to anyone. Ir's a drum that can't be tuned attached to a neck for $200 if I recall correctly. You could do that much cheaper by yourself lol. What I like about banjos is that there is so much you can change to make it sound different. You can't really do much with this thing. I don't think it's possible for it to stay in tune forever (the drum), also.

/end snobbery lol

Hmm. Well, I've seen some good reviews of it too. I'm not looking for something to tinker with, just something to play. And something lightweight. I also like the quality of ukuleles that come from Flea Market Music.

Thanks for your input, though. :)

Mousie

That might work, although it would end up being off-center a bit because of the hardware that holds the tailpiece on. You can see a detail of what I'm talking about here ("tailpiece detail").

I keep wondering if the fastener that holds the tailpiece on can be swapped out for a strap button somehow. Yeah, I could ask at the shop where I spend far too much time, but if the answer was YES then I'd have to buy the darned thing :) Curse you, UAS!

Maybe you should phone Flea Market Music to find out about the fastener for the tailpiece and such. They would know their own product pretty well to be able to advise you. Let me know what you find out! And thanks!

Mousie

I think a Firefly is a wonderful banjo uke. One of the two I have - although I wouldn't say no to another banjo uke, if the right one, at the right price came my way.

Can a strap button be attached? I'm not sure, but I'd just call Magic Fluke and ask them. Dale and Phyllis are great folks, and so are their staff.

The Magic Fluke Company, LLC
292 South Main Street • Sheffield, MA 01257
800-459-5558
Outside U.S., call: 413-229-8536

Remember: They are on East Coast (US) Time.

-Kurt​

I think a Firefly is a wonderful banjo uke. One of the two I have - although I wouldn't say no to another banjo uke, if the right one, at the right price came my way.

Can a strap button be attached? I'm not sure, but I'd just call Magic Fluke and ask them. Dale and Phyllis are great folks, and so are their staff.

The Magic Fluke Company, LLC
292 South Main Street • Sheffield, MA 01257
800-459-5558
Outside U.S., call: 413-229-8536

Remember: They are on East Coast (US) Time.

-Kurt​

I'm glad to hear you like your Firefly. I guess I'll do that and phone them.

My conundrum is: do I get a Firefly and make my very new Lanakai feel sad and neglected? Or should I get the poiple/grape soprano Flea that I've been wanting for over a year?

Hmm.

Mousie

You might check with Phyllis and Dale on this, but you might be able to put a loop of cord through the Firefly tailpiece, and then use a Uke Leash as a full strap.
The Firefly is very light, and opened backed, so you might find that the female form may work to your advantage.
The rim of the Firefly is compressed cardboard (I believe), not wood, so I am not sure if drilling a hole for a strap button is a good idea. The velcro idea might work.

–Lori

Last edited:
You might check with Phyllis and Dale on this, but you might be able to put a loop of cord through the Firefly tailpiece, and then use a Uke Leash as a full strap.
The Firefly is very light, and opened backed, so you might find that the female form may work to your advantage.
The rim of the Firefly is compressed cardboard (I believe), not wood, so I am not sure if drilling a hole for a strap button is a good idea. The velcro idea might work.

–Lori

This is a really good idea! My only worry (which Phyllis and Dale can advise me on) is putting any stress on the tailpiece. If that's not a good idea, then I'd have to go the Velcro route.

Uke Leashes are wonderful--I just am not comfortable myself with one. If I wore clothes with belt loops, it would be a different story. :)

Mousie

Top Bottom