UAS + Flea + Firefly banjo uke

I think you could also attach to the truss in the body, it is wood.
The Firefly is VERY light, it does not take much to hold it.

This is a really good idea! My only worry (which Phyllis and Dale can advise me on) is putting any stress on the tailpiece. If that's not a good idea, then I'd have to go the Velcro route.

Uke Leashes are wonderful--I just am not comfortable myself with one. If I wore clothes with belt loops, it would be a different story. :)

Mousie

It does sound like a great idea! Mousie, please let us know what you find out if you do contact them.

I think you could also attach to the truss in the body, it is wood.
The Firefly is VERY light, it does not take much to hold it.

Okay, I have done a lot of searching online for some kind of graphic to show me what the truss is. I know what the coordinator rod is in my Lanakai banjolele (that's what they call it). But I don't know what/where on the Firefly the truss is exactly. Help?

Thanks!

Mousie

It does sound like a great idea! Mousie, please let us know what you find out if you do contact them.

I wasn't planning on contacting them about the strap on the Firefly, at least not now, as I hadn't even decided if I was going to *get* a Firefly now. I'm trying to decide between a soprano Flea and a Firefly. I *just* got my Lanakai banjo ukulele. Shouldn't I spend more time with it first? I guess I'm answering my own question.

Or the other answer is: wait and see what's out there. Don't buy anything right now.

Mousie

Not a problem - I have my 1920s Stella banjo uke also, and I play them both.

As a matter of fact, the only ukes that don't get much play in this house are the Epiphones, and the Republic - all concert size.

Hmmm, indeed....

I'm glad to hear you like your Firefly. I guess I'll do that and phone them.

My conundrum is: do I get a Firefly and make my very new Lanakai feel sad and neglected? Or should I get the poiple/grape soprano Flea that I've been wanting for over a year?

Hmm.

Mousie

Of course, MY personal thought is, if you've been waiting for a poiple flea for over a year, get it now.

The Firefly will be around later.

-Kurt​

Last edited:
Not a problem - I have my 1920s Stella banjo uke also, and I play them both.

As a matter of fact, the only ukes that don't get much play in this house are the Epiphones, and the Republic - all concert size.

Hmmm, indeed....

Of course, MY personal thought is, if you've been waiting for a poiple flea for over a year, get it now.

The Firefly will be around later.

-Kurt​

I think you're right. I didn't even see this last portion of your post until I'd already thought this: "The Firefly is new and will be around for a while. They'll have time to work out any kinks in the design if there are any problems. My Lanakai needs some love and attention before I bring in a second banjo ukulele. And...what if they decide to stop making the poiple/grape Flea? They might do that when they bring out new designs in the Spring."

Also, I was looking around at all kinds of other ukuleles, but I keep coming back to Flea Market Music because Fleas and Flukes are nearly indestructible. I worry about the need for a hard case and humidifier and special care a solid-wood ukulele would need. I like the polycarbonate fretboards of the Fleas and Flukes because I never have to worry about low humidity and frets working their way up and out at the sides. The action is always right, right out of the box. Is that true with the Firefly? Or did you have to make any adjustment?

I have two Flukes. My Flea needs a partner. :) Seriously, my Island Design (floral) Fluke is very feminine; my red Cowboy Fluke is a guy; my Denim Flea is probably a boy. I have these gorgeous flowery inlay stickers (from Jockomo in Japan) that I bought over a year ago to put *on* a poiple/grape Flea!

So I guess in about a week I'm going to order the (now being called) Grape Flea (soprano). I need to get that extra strap I have down to the shoe repair place to get him to stitch on the Velcro!

When I *do* get a Firefly, I'll probably have more questions for you. :)

Thanks!

Mousie

I'm sorry, but I can't really recommend the Firefly to anyone. Ir's a drum that can't be tuned attached to a neck for $200 if I recall correctly. You could do that much cheaper by yourself lol. What I like about banjos is that there is so much you can change to make it sound different. You can't really do much with this thing. I don't think it's possible for it to stay in tune forever (the drum), also.

/end snobbery lol

You got the snobbery part right.
If you can make a banjo uke that sounds as good and plays as easily as the Firefly, you should open up for business.
I got mine last week and I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

You got the snobbery part right.
If you can make a banjo uke that sounds as good and plays as easily as the Firefly, you should open up for business.
I got mine last week and I'm enjoying the heck out of it.
Having a different opinion does not offer you justification to be disrespectful towards me. I didn't say anything mean to anyone, I was just offering CountryMouse my opinion on a product. No need to bash me.

It is my understanding that if you remove the resonator off the Lanikai (or Gold Tone) and shove a rag into it, you'll have the sound of a Firefly :eek:

I bought a Firefly a few months back, and personally, I love mine. It's a nice little bang-for-your-buck banjolele that sounds terrific and travels very well. If you like the magic fluke ukes, definately consider grabbing one down the line when the banjo-uke feve strikes again :)

I played a firefly and liked it. It is very light weight and sounds like a banjo ukulele. I didn't buy a firefly, I bought a vintage banjo ukulele whose sound I like and I like playing an old instrument.

AAAAHHH! I just saw the aNueNue U900 bear pineapple ukulele (ads and YouTube reviews, plus threads here on UU)! UkeRepublic has them! Now I'm drawn to that...and may have to put both the soprano Flea and the Firefly on the back burners!

Oh, UAS, how cruel you are!

Mousie

AAAAHHH! I just saw the aNueNue U900 bear pineapple ukulele (ads and YouTube reviews, plus threads here on UU)! UkeRepublic has them! Now I'm drawn to that...and may have to put both the soprano Flea and the Firefly on the back burners!

Oh, UAS, how cruel you are!

Mousie

:D - One is enough? Oh, Sailing Uke! you do have a good one, but I had nine at one point - narrowed it down to five now. :)

Seriously, I've always had more banjo ukes than ukes. However, I'm with Csibona - Vintage is more enjoyable to me. I've got five vintage, no new. I haven't liked any of the new ones enough to buy one, though I did like the Firefly and Mainland very much of the new crop.

save some money, and look for a good Gibson UB1 ($400-550); they come up all the time on eBay and if the hardware is clean and the neck and pot have no issues, snap it up. I also have UB2, a Ludwig Wendell Hall, and a couple of Stromberg Voisinets. Can't beat the old sound, and feel, in my book. :)

Here;s my latest YouTube posting - done on the Firefly.

It is also part of the "My Favorite Train Song" thread...

-Kurt​
The pun of which I missed, because the only Train song I can think of is "Save Me San Francisco"....

Top Bottom