I couldn't bring myself to marrying old Dale

E
It'd just be me and Trigger

A      E/G#         E    
We'd go riding through them movies

B/F#            E
Then we'd buy a boat and on the sea we'd sail

[etc…]

You could play those same chords on the uke too. You don't need a special "uke version" of the song.

That said, some of those chords are tricky. It might be easier if you put the song in a different key, to make the chords easier. For example:

Code:
Bb   F/A   F
If I had a boat

Bb     F/A    F
I'd go out on the ocean

Bb   F/A   F
And if I had a pony

Dm             C
I'd ride him on my boat

and...

F
If I were Roy Rogers

Bb    F/A      F
I'd sure enough be single

C/E

You could also get away with ignoring the "slash" chords and just make them whatever chord is on top of the slash. So play F instead of F/A, C instead of C/E, and so on.

Good luck!

JJ

Thanks so much JJ!!! That certainly helps. I poked around trying to find what those slash chords would be for the uke but came up empty. I know a lot of people do ignore those pesky slash chords. Thanks again!

Sean

How do you play those slash chords and why aren't they just denoted F A? TIA, g2

Gary-

Most slash chords are hard to play on an ukulele, especially with reentrant tuning..... they're really for guitar or piano, instruments with more range. Like JJ said, the chord is really just the the note in front of the slash. The note after the slash tells you what note to play as the lowest note in the voicing.

An F major chord is composed of the notes F, A, and C. When you play F/A, you play an F major chord, making sure that the 'A' is the lowest voiced note, sounding as the bass. If you have your uke strung with a low G, you are playing F/A whenever you play the standard F chord fingering (2 0 1 0). That '2' on the G string is an 'A', and with a low G, it is the lowest pitched note in that particular voicing.

The slash chords are in this arrangement because that's how Lyle plays it on the guitar - if you play these chords on the guitar, using the particular bass note for each chord voicing, you get a really nice chromatic sounding bass line that compliments the melody and fills out the guitar part - especially if you're fingerpicking. That's why most slash chords just don't work on uke, especially with a high G. The instrument doesn't have the range to accompany itself with a built in bass line. That's why this song is hard to play on uke - you can play the chords, but you don't get that nice walking bass line that really gives the tune its distinctive sound.

This is one of the reasons I keep my uke tuned low G. As a guitarist, it's what I'm used to and I like being able to use those lower voiced notes as much as possible.

Slash chords do serve a purpose for the uke, though, especially if you're playing with others - they let you know what's going on harmonically with the tune, even if it's not something you are playing on your instrument. Also, some slash chords are used to represent more complex chords in a quick easy to read symbol. If you see C/D in a jazz tune, it's probably a Dsus chord.....

Gracias para una buena explanacion Vente-tres!

Was just fooling around with this a bit..... with a low G (or without, not sure how it would sound) you could play it in G and get the descending bass line....

Play C (5 0 3 5) G/B (4 0 2 0) or (4 2 3 2) G (0 2 3 2) Em ( 0 4 3 2) D/A (2 2 2 0)
C G/B G
If I had a boat

C G/B G
I'd go out on the ocean

C G/B G
And if I had a pony

Em D
I'd ride him on my boat

C G/B G
And we could all together

C G/B G
Go out on the ocean

G/B D G
Me upon my pony on my boat

G
If I were Roy Rogers

C G/B G
I'd sure enough be single

D/A

G
It'd just be me and Trigger

C G/B G
We'd go riding through them movies

D/A G
Then we'd buy a boat and on the sea we'd sail

[etc…]

Thank you so much for this version! I just got a ukulele this summer as a gift from my mom and I can't wait to play this for her (it's one of her favorite songs) at Thanksgiving.

I found this version which not only is simple but also sounds quite good.

It's much like the one above in C though it adds Am in the chorus, which adds much.

Simply F, G and C with an occasional Am.

http://www.heartwoodguitar.com/chords/lyle-lovett-if-i-had-a-boat/

especially great version for beginners, though fun for everyone

Top Bottom