Ever heard of 2Kool 4Skool

NaturalBornCamper

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I want to switch my concert ukulele to buy a soprano instead and I found out this company named 2Kool 4Skool:
http://cooldiscountinstruments.com/shop/Folk-Instruments-Ukulele/c5_6/index.html

They have really good price ranges, see on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270277951822
mesosmalluke4.jpg

And they make SOLID Mahogany Ukuleles and still are cheaper than a Kala laminate one. So I'm a little bit scared of buying from an unknown company and was wondering if anyone ever heard of 2Kool 4Skool or what are your thoughts. I don't like the fact that the tuners are on the back and not on the sides. Also I don't know what type of strings they put on that, it doesn't say.

And if you still have time to answer another small questions, when it's laminate, does it really make a difference if it's spruce or mahogany?

Thanks everyone!

Marco

Very likely, the old rule of thumb, "you get what you pay for" will cover this one. Solid wood? No way... perhaps they mean solid plywood? Anyway, refraining from an XL Cafe Latte or a Big Kahoona Burger 2 or 3 times gets you in the price range of Makala / Kala / Lanikai budget brands that are well known and available at trustworthy (Ebay-) dealers. Some of these have tuners "on the sides" as you say (geared instead of friction pegs).

I wouldn't try to save $20 and find out you bought a piece of firewood.

Check the review section of ukuleleunderground.com (if you haven't already) and check some of the cheaper soprano reviews to see what you get. Plenty of threads in the past to give you feedback as well, give them a try in the search function here.

Have fun picking your axe... no, tomahawk?

if that is your price range, then take a look at the makala line also. im not saying you should get one instead of that. because to be honest, if you do, im curious to find your impression of it. but at the same time, i would hate to find out that you just bought yourself a $50 fly-swatter.

makala is an offshoot company of the well known kala brand. so basically, kala is to maka as lexus is to toyota. i own a makala concert and though its construction has some aspects that still leave you wanting more, it is one of my favorite ukes to play. the sound is surprisingly nice. with a little work you can get the action down to a much more comfortable level. and hey, its only around $50 also.

there are some gems out there for dirt cheap compared to other ukes. just gotta look. i was fortunate to have the opportunity to actually play the makala before buying it. so, to be honest, i never would have given it a chance if i was just buying off the net. because "you get what you pay for" always comes to mind. and 9 times out of ten, thats the case. but if you do get the 2k4s, let us know what you think.

Last edited:
If it's going to be your only uke, don't take your chances. For that price, you can get a Kala KA-15S or a Makala professionally set up by MGM with good strings and good service. ;)

HAHAHA! I like how you describe a cheap Uke as firewood or fly-swatter!!

Anyway, thanks everyone for your replies, I wrote to the seller this morning to ask him if it was solid plywood but I did not get any answer yet. I will tell you when I get the answer so everybody knows what kind of ukes 2Kool4Skool makes.

I still need to know something however: Will it really make a difference if a Ukulele is built out of Mahogany or another kind of wood like spruce if it's laminate?

I will tell you when I get the answer so everybody knows what kind of ukes 2Kool4Skool makes.

I still need to know something however: Will it really make a difference if a Ukulele is built out of Mahogany or another kind of wood like spruce if it's laminate?

I guarantee that they do not "make" these Ukes. They're probably bought from a factory in China or Malaysia or somesuch.
Different woods, solid or ply, sound different. Mahogany and Koa sound more like a Uke, spruce sounds more like a guitar (IMHO) At that price range I'd be more worried about action and intonation.
The reason they're using friction instead of geared pegs is probably price.

Well, thanks everyone, but I won't be able to give you a review from 2Kool4Skool because I bought the Kala Ukulele instead, the guy from 2Kool4Skool never answered about if it was solid mahogany or plywood.

Thanks to all

Marco

Enjoy that Kala I know I like mine.....

Top Bottom