Ukulele buzzing

Elegant.

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered before, I have tried to search for it.

Anyway, I've recently ordered my first ukulele and it'll be at least 10-20 days before I'll get it.

I've heard a lot of the "buzzing" problem some ukuleles does have, but I'm wondering (since I'm a beginner) how I could notice the buzz when I get it? Is it "buzzing" if the ukulele's getting vibrations from a string or what? I want to be able to check that everything is in its order when I have my ukulele here. :)

Last edited:
If you purchased a quality uke, 95% of the time, buzzing is user error, and can be remedied with practice.

Well, than it seems like I shouldn't care about that, for now, at least. :)

Buzzing is very easy to notice, you don't have to have a trained ear.

Just play every string and if one sounds significantly different in terms of the vibration it makes, (i.e. a distinct buzzing), you will know.

Buzzing is very easy to notice, you don't have to have a trained ear.

Just play every string and if one sounds significantly different in terms of the vibration it makes, (i.e. a distinct buzzing), you will know.

Alright, then I know. This shouldn't be my biggest concern either way, it'd be a good start to actually learn to play it before finding cosmetic errors on it. :p

Alright, then I know. This shouldn't be my biggest concern either way, it'd be a good start to actually learn to play it before finding cosmetic errors on it. :p
You will soon find out and it will really annoy you when you hear it. Which one have you bought?

You will soon find out and it will really annoy you when you hear it. Which one have you bought?

Kala ASAC-T from Hawaii Music Supply. Remember that I'm a really really new beginner to music overall, I can't hear tones that easily and well and decide if that sounds right. :p

I had a student who brought me ukulele with a buzz.
I could not hear it, but checked it out completely. I changed the accused offending string and all was good.
A week later he brought it back saying it still buzzed. I changed the heavy Aquilas to a lighter Orca set.
He played the uke before taking it along with several other folks and all agreed no buzz.
A week later the buzz was back, but no one else could hear it.
Turned out it was his hearing aid, those pesky buzzes can be very hard to find.

I had a student who brought me ukulele with a buzz.
I could not hear it, but checked it out completely. I changed the accused offending string and all was good.
A week later he brought it back saying it still buzzed. I changed the heavy Aquilas to a lighter Orca set.
He played the uke before taking it along with several other folks and all agreed no buzz.
A week later the buzz was back, but no one else could hear it.
Turned out it was his hearing aid, those pesky buzzes can be very hard to find.

Okey, I probably shouldn't deal with it yet, anyway. I'll just let it go by. :)

Follow this blog post in order. It ishows how some buzzes are really easy to fix.

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2010/09/buzzes-and-rattles-on-ukulele.html

Thanks for the link!

Top Bottom