Song Help Request Queen'S Jubilee - Ike Ia Ladana

dogstayplay

Reaction score
Hi there!
I heard this song on George Winston's album Plains. I have been unsuccessful in finding sheet music or tabs for it at all. I have searched multiple times in different search engines. How strange! If any one can point me in the right direction to find this lovely song I would appreciate it greatly!
Thanks!
Mary Ellen

I haven't seen any tablature for Queen's Jubilee. The mele was written by Queen Lili`uokalani in honor of Queen Victoria. My preference is to have it sung verses an instrumental piece. Here are the lyrics with English translation followed with a video by Weldon Kekauoha . . .

Code:
[B]Queen's Jubilee[/B] 
Queen Lili`uokalani 

Mahalo piha, Mōʻī ʻo ʻEnelani 	All hail to you, Great Queen of England
Kuʻi kou kaulana nā ʻāina pau 	Fair Queen who rules over land and sea
Na kai ākau nā one hema 	From northern seas to southern shores
ʻIkea kou ʻihi mana nui 	Your way is known both far and near
Eia mākou i kou kapa kai 	We come to your shores, gracious lady
ʻI kou lā nui Iubilī 	        On this great day of your Jubilee
I hiʻi mai i kou mākou aloha 	To bring kind greetings from afar
Maluna ou ka malu o ka Lani 	May heaven bless you, long may you reigntd

Hauʻoliʻoli ʻEmepela o ʻInia 	All hail, all hail, Empress of India
I kēia makahiki Iubili 	        In this your year of Jubilee
ʻĀkoakoa nā aliʻi ʻaimoku 	Now kings, queens and princes great
A puni ke ao holoʻokoʻa 	Have all assembled here today
E hiʻilani e mililani 	        To pay due homage and reverent love
Ua hui pūʻia me Hawaiʻi 	Hawaii joins with loyal fervor
E uhi mai ka lani i kona nani 	May Heaven smile on you
E ola ka mōʻī ke Akua 	        God bless the Queen, long may she live

I have often wished there was a uke book devoted to Lili'uokalani's music. (With a CD.) I've found a few pieces here and there but not enough!

Update on this project... 1 year later.
Well, it took me quite a while to find the sheet music for this song - I found it in UC berkeley library archives.
I am attaching the PDFs of the original score below in case anyone is interested. My next task is transcribing it for ukulele... this is a real challenge for me as I only have a rudimentary knowledge of music... but we will see how it goes. If anyone else is so inclined... I'd be happy for any help!
ME
View attachment 47767View attachment 47768

Chords in the key of F . . .

Queens Jubilee
Composed By: Queen Lili'uokalani

[F]Mahalo [Bb]pi[F]ha, Mô`î `o `En[Bb]ela[F]ni
Ku`i kou kau[C7]lana nâ `âina [F]pau
Na kai [Bb]âka[F]u nâ one [Bb]he[F]ma
`Ikea kou [C7]`ihi mana [F]nui
Eia [C7]mâkou i kou kapa [F]kai
I kou lâ [C7]nui Iubi[F]lî
I hi`i mai i [F7]kou mâkou [Bb]aloha
Maluna [F]ou ka [C7]malu o ka [F]Lani

[F]Hau`oli[Bb]`oli[F] `Emepela o [Bb]`Ini[F]a
I kêia [C7]makahiki [F]Iubili
`Âkoa[Fb]koa[F] nâ ali`i `ai[Bb]mo[F]ku
A puni ke [C7]ao holo`o[F]ko`a
E hi`i[C7]lani e mili[F]lani
Ua hui pû[C7]`ia me Ha[F]wai`i
E uhi mai ka [F7]lani i kona [Bb]nani
E ola [F]ka mô`î[C7] ke A[F]kua
E ola [F]ka mô`î[C7] ke A[F]kua

Thank you soooo much. I have been looking for the sheet music for some time. I am going to attempt to adapt it to a hammered dulcimer.

Keep us posted on your efforts. I am still working on it... (not that it's hard to to. It's hard for ME to do :) )

Keep us posted on your efforts. I am still working on it... (not that it's hard to to. It's hard for ME to do :) )

so 3 years later...any progress? haha I would love to play this. I am still a bonafide #'ukenewb though, but I will give it a try also. I love playing the instrumental pieces on 'ukulele

Hey TheShawmish!
3 years later … yeah I was naive!!!! Actually, recently I found the work I started on this and had one of those "Hey, not too bad" moments that inspired me to pick it up again. It is such a pretty song… I will keep you posted - how 'bout I set a 3 month goal for myself this time???

Living on Oahu I get to see Weldon play that song live every now and again...
I'll give it a shot, mahalo for posting the music!

Thank you sooooooooo much dogstayplay. I too have been looking for this piece of music. It's like that Christmas present when you were young that you hoped for and yearned for and found that "yes, virginia, there is a Santa Claus!!!" I can't thank you enough.

Crelli

Thank you for the music and I didn't have to look hard. I googled it and your post came up. Loved George Winston's piano piece.

Aloha to all in this thread. I provide this information to help you with Queen Lili'uokalani's music and what inspired her to write them. The book has a plethora of history, as well as piano and ukulele chords of the compositions.

Malama Pono

Attachments

• 20240215_113448.jpg
    20240215_113448.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 0
Top Bottom