pono tenor solid mahogany slothead

dancingflee

Reaction score
I've been wondering if I made a proper decision in putting my finger on this particular ukulele. Any reviews or experience with this uke will help me.

I've come across many positive reviews of Pono Tenors, though I think Ken Middleton elected to return a Pono because it sounded muted to him. I'm going off memory, so maybe Ken can chime in. The MHTSH model is in the "Pro" series, which is as good as it gets for Pono. What exactly has you second guessing your purchase after 3 weeks? If you bought it from a local retailer, have you contacted them about possibly exchanging it for another uke (assuming it's still in 'as new' condition)?

I have had a muted concert experience but my Mohag tenor(older model) is great and my soprano is superb. I think strings make a world of difference on these models. I have a Cedartop I almost gave up on until I put some Southcoast strings on and it is alive and sounds great now so just be aware it may not be superb right out of the box. Good luck!

I may be wrong, but I don't think the OP has purchased the uke yet.
From 12/14/11:
After some research and door knocking for wisdom which lead me to seeking out a pono solid mahogany with a slothead. I instantly feel in love with everything that I saw and heard and felt when I picked the strings. To top it all the folks at McCabe's in Santa Monica we just great.

Please understand that this is my first ukulele but bought a little pricey one which I know I will enjoy for a good period of time before the thought of an upgrade sets in.

Ah, right you are. I was just thrown off since he was requesting opinions and reviews.

Thank you all.

I have come accross plenty of good reviews on the MHTSH too and the only reason I am seeking opinions at this time, very short as it maybe, is because I never had an uke and this is my first ever that I have no point of comparison. Maybe if I mature a little bit more in the uke world I would know better. Now, while on school break, I may set my books aside for uke but definitely can use a lot of wisdom the members of this forum.

Drew Bear, I intend to keep the uke and will give myself enough time to know it better. Will experiment on strings in the coming weeks.

Thank you.

I picked up a Pono mahogany concert a few months ago. Not sure what strings came on it, suspect worth clears...maybe. Sounded a little muted to me....didn't like at all. Installed a set of Ko'olau Alohi's and wow....what a sweety. Loud, full sounding, and sweet. Also have a Mele Koa tenor that sounded dead. loosened strings, re-tightened ( maybe not seated properly, who knows) and like magic,
sounded loud and bright. Never figure that one out.

Anything in particular has you "wondering?" Sound, feel, playability?

I've owned a couple of Pono slot-heads and think they are great ukes. I've had a MHTSH that was sold to a fellow member, who by all accounts loves it. I loved it too, but sold it to finance a MPTSH (spruce top, maple sides, slot-head). Kinda of a OCD UAS purchase because it looks just like a flamenco guitar I have. No complaints at all with any of the Pono's I've owned.

Having said that, I do understand the comments related to being muted etc. They tend to be heavier builds than their higher end counterparts, but as others have noted, strings make a big difference. To me the Ko'olau Golds found on a lot of the Pono's stock from the factory do seem muted. As Phil recommended the Alohi's are a good choice. For the MHTSH, I would highly recommend trying Fremont Blacklines. They're a good complement to the mahogany mellowness. I tried them on my MPTSH and they were too bright for my tastes. Ended up with Worth BT's and the Mele Mana'o'io strings put together by Aaron Crowell at HMS. I like them paired with the spruce top.

So, rest easy that you have a good uke in your hands and maybe some more time and a string change should remove any doubts.

Thank you so much.

bdukes, at this point in time I really can't pinpoint that which causes me to doubt my purchase. As far as sound is concerned, I am still in a good position to make any comparison because it is the only ukulele that I have played and actually owned. My ears have been listening to the sound of guitars, mostly classical. At the same time, I am slowly teaching my fretting fingers to slowly walk up and down a narrower fretboard.

Phil, what I now have on the uke are the original strings that came the instrument. The store I bought it from gave me a set of ProArtes which I plan to install this weekend. I will try and seek out a place which carries a good selection of ukulele strings.

Folks, I am having fun with this new journey. The same or even more challenges I went through starting out blank with the classical guitar. Thank you for the assurance that I did not make a bad choice. Maybe one day I may also be able to throw in some words of wisdom to someone starting out like me.

Thank you sooooo much for your patience.

Soon this flee will dance.

If the guitar sound is what your ear is used to then try a low g string set. That will give the uke a "fuller" sound.

Hi Ronnie,

I have, at one pont, considered a Low G tuning but hesitated because I am not sure if I may still play High G notes/tab on a Low G tuned uke. I heard some say "yes" while others say "no" unless some adjustments are done. At this point I will keep my High G tuning but will experiment with strings. In the meantime, school is back, I will go back to my classical guitars while I continue my ukulele journey in baby steps.

Top Bottom