I figured out why I like the ukulele!

Merlinspop

Reaction score
Of course, I like the sound. I certainly like being able to make something approximating music with it. I like that there's always the more/better/more complex that I can progress on to if I feel like it.

But MOST of all, I find that it fits into my lifestyle. I'm old(ish), out of shape(ish), lazy(no ish about it). I have 3 hours of commuting added to my regular 8+ hour work day. When I get home, I spend time with my two sons (10 and >2 years old) until each has to go to bed at their appointed times. Then I can sit and relax and chat with my wife and turn on the TV in the comfort of my recliner (somewhere in there is also a dog walk and helping with house upkeep). While sitting there, I can easily reach over and bring my ukulele up and quietly strum out some chords or a melody or scales or whatever strikes me. I can even do this with one or both of our cats curled up in my lap. No other instrument is better suited for me to do these things than the uke.

I wish I had picked it up years ago.

B

I wish I had the comfort.. I'm currently at my parents home for the holidays (only 3 weeks left thank God) and the house is filled with all 6 of us.. All my mates are currently working and my one brother constantly takes my van out surfing so I'm stuck at home most of the day, and every time I try pick up my uke there is more than one person telling me to shut up. Plus I don't have the ocnfidence to practice my singing knowing they can hear me :p

I can't wait to get back to my own home... :(

Whew. I feel for you Ukuloko. If I started singing, everyone in the house would clear out instantly, dog and cat included!

I'm with Merlinspop, After a nasty day at work, it's really nice to pick up a uke and just strum, pick or play scales. Great way to relax.

It works for me too. I don't even own a TV! Haven't tried kitty in the lap playing yet.

Somewhat same for me. I love how I can pick up the uke and play something immediately, no fussing about with huge, heavy guitars and amps and cables and possibly headphones (I don't have any sort of studio or anything). If I have inspiration I can put it into practice immediately. And its just fun! Its all the musical expression minus the annoyances.

You can play it in bed! (I do!) Can't say that about my piano. Though I do love the piano.

I strum my exercise pieces while sitting under the covers with the cat. I'm working through Fingerstyle Solos with my Dolphin, waiting for the Mainland tenor to show up. After I do my learning piece, I strum some tunes because I do know basic chords from childhood. It's relaxing!

Totally agree!
After moving out of my exs house into my own place I got fed with with wasting my evenings staring at the TV. Thats all we did when I lived with him, that or play Rock Band which although is fun for a while it kinda felt pointless as you spend that time learning to play something that really has no worth in the real world.
I've wanted to play an instument since I was little but having always lived with people I felt too embarresed to try because someone would always be listening. So the timing is perfect now I'm on my own.
I adore my uke for the same reasons - Easy to just pick from the sofa & quietly strum, doesn't frighten my somewhat nervous cat & such a relaxing sound after a long day.
It also makes me feel as if I'm doing something more productive with my time.
& yes, I play it in bed too! With a big pussycat purring on my feet!

Your evenings sound like my winter evenings. Dog instead of cat. TV on for background noise, wife doing jigsaw puzzle and me plunking away. Life is good!

All sounds very familiar! Although my dog doesn't like it haha!

I don't have a TV so yes, I just strum away at home on my own. Suits me to the ground.

Like Claireski said, I got fed up years a go starring blankly at a TV, so I got rid of it two years a go and done slightly more productive things with my time. Then got a uke in July and love it. Just wish I brought it sooner!

I love the Uke because it puts such a unique slant on songs you play. I prefer playing songs that no one would expect to hear on a uke, like heavy rock or punk. Most of all I find it's very hard for people to judge you when you play a uke because it's such a fun instrument and it's unlikely that you are taking yourself too seriously which helps to make you feel at ease when playing in front of others, make sense?

How awesome! I just figured out why I liked it so much too- it's fun without being fussy. Seriously, it is just so easy to pick up without all the fussing round of other instruments.

Terence

Hehe. Rockband....

I was playing Rockband on expert before I took up the Uke. All that time spent getting "great" at something totally useless... Wish I had found the Uke first. Now that I think about it, I haven't played once since taking up the Uke. Though I have to admit, my Rockband rendition of "Round and Round" by Ratt sounded better than my Ukulele version of "Sweet Child o Mine". And in defense of Rockband, it definately helped my timing and hand eye coordination.

Top Bottom