Hawaiian Music

benanderson7

Reaction score
Aloha!

So I was on pandora, and I typed in "Hawaiian" just to see what it came up with, and to be honest I had never heard anything like it. Slack key guitar sounds so cool! And being a big music collector, I was wondering what artists and albums you all recommend!

Ben

That's like the Hawaiian music bible, if there was such a thing!

Digging through my ipod, I'll add....

Makaha Sons
Sons of Hawaii
Sonny Chillingworth
Ozzie Kotani
George Kahumoku Jr.
Charles Michael Brotman
Ray Kane
Peter Moon
Robi Kahakalau
Sean Na‘auao
Jon Yamasato
Justin Young
Sonny Lim

Gabby pahinui
Cyril Pahinui
Martin Pahinui
Led Ka'apana
Keola Beamer
George Kuho
John Cruz
Rev Dennis Kamakahi
Atta Isaacs
Jeff Peterson
to start with

Mahalo for the channel Kanaka916. I'd rather be listening to this stuff to and from work than some of the stuff they play on the radio these days. I close my eyes and for an hour, I'm in Hawaii. How sad is dat? lol

From another thread.

Jawaiian....my specialty.

Here are my suggestions.

Adeaze
Ale'a
B.E.T.
Beach 5
Cecilio & Kapono
Ekolu (mentioned earlier)
Fiji
The Green
Ho'okoa
Ho'onua (now Beach 5)
Inoa'ole
J Boog
Justin "Kawika" Young
Ka'ala Boys
Ka'au Crater Boys
Ka'u
Kaipo Kapua
KALAPANA
Kanalo
Kapena (mentioned earlier)
Katchafire (new zealand)
Kawao
Koa'uka
Kohomua
Kolhe Kai (pretty big now)
Kontiki
Laga Savea
Lahaina Grown
Ledward Kaapana
Mana'o company
Maoli
Natural Vibes
Nesian N.I.N.E.
Next Generation
Norm
Nuff Said
O-shen
One Groove
Opihi Pickers
Papa'a Bay Boys
Pati
Pau Hana
Pohaku
Pure Heart (Jake's old band)
Rebel Souljahz
Sean Na'auao
Sudden Rush
Ten Feet
Three Plus
Troy Fernandez (part of Ka'au Crater Boys)
Typical Hawaiians
Vaihi
Valley Boys

Sorry if it's a little too much. Pick and choose, it's all good. I fell in love with the music first, then I wanted to play it.

This thread has been a great help to me too.

Gabby pahinui
Cyril Pahinui
Martin Pahinui
Led Ka'apana
Keola Beamer
George Kuho
John Cruz
Rev Dennis Kamakahi
Atta Isaacs
Jeff Peterson
to start with

Yes- the only people I included in this list were slack key players. I purposely left out the ukulele players like Peter Moon and Eddie Kamae, Iz, and their groups, however, no Hawaiian music is complete without them, and the Brothers Cazimero. I am remiss in missing the great Ray Kane, Sean Na'auao, Lonny Lim, George Kahumoku, and sonny Chilliingsworth.

Aloha!

So I was on pandora, and I typed in "Hawaiian" just to see what it came up with, and to be honest I had never heard anything like it. Slack key guitar sounds so cool! And being a big music collector, I was wondering what artists and albums you all recommend!

Ben

I started playing the ukulele because I love the music of Hawaii and wanted to participate in it. In the 1970's I was fascinated by the music of the Hawaiian cultural renaissance. You could not find the music here on the east coast since there was no internet and no market for anything other than Hapa Haole songs, so I wrote to all of the great musicians on my list (and when I say "wrote" I mean literally wrote letters since no internet), and they sent me recordings and in some cases snail mail correspondence. For 35 years I have listened, tried to learn the Hawaiian words, looked at translations, used the Hawaiian gourd drum, but still wanted to participate more- hence the ukulele. the first thing I purchased were three tutorial books (with CD) of Hawaiian Mele for ukulele.

I'm a big fan of the Rev. Dennis Kamakahi. I saw him tour with Ledward Ka'apana and Nathan Aweau last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px4WSc21JQo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6lTuvkbzxY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKLexqnJxXs
I had a chance to see Led and Dennis this past summer at the slack Key Festival. They were fabulous. Actually, the entire festival was. I sat there for six hours listening to the greatest music. My trip to Hawaii was complete. There were a number of musicians I wanted to see live and the slack Key Festival provided an opportunity for me to see and meet many. additionally, I wanted to, and did meet Cyril Pahinui and Eddie Kamai. For a guy who does not have regular access to these artists, It was a great time for me, musically.

I got my first Hawaiian album! Facing Future by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole. He has an extremely pure voice, and the songs go anywhere from sunny beach songs to haunting and moving songs. This album was nothing less than a treat! 10/10!

If no one mentioned it, you can listen to "free" Hawaiian music radio online --very enjoyable. Hawaiian Rainbow

Here is an excellent resource for hawaiian music,

http://mele.com/

My current favorites are Mailani, Waipuna, Hi'ikua, Makana, John Cruz, Jeff Peterson, Brittni Paiva, Ledward Kaapana, and so many more.

Top Bottom