Uploaded my first few videos! Comments?

Just two tiny improvement notes:

The Uke was really out of tune on the Tonight you belong to me tune. had to turn it off.

In Betrayed by Bones, the chuck is really overpowering. If you can't move the mic because it's in the PC than move yourself around the room until you good a more natural balance.

But for someone pretty new to Uke, these are really nice performances. Great job!

You are a good singer! Have you ever done any theater? You have the voice for it!

tsscottwilder,

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't even realize I was out of tune on that song, and I have a pretty good ear so I'm surprised I didn't. Thanks for letting me know. And you're right about the chuck being overpowering, I didn't have a mic stand so I had kind of awkward placement for the mic. Once I get one I think I'll be able to control that better because it will be pointed more at my mouth than the Uke.

Great tips, thank you!

And Nickie,

Thank you! I did some theater in high school and always really enjoyed it, but once I began college it became a thing of the past. Though I've lost a lot of what I used to have, I'm really enjoying getting back into singing :)

Welcome aboard, Ryan. You have a good voice. I agree about the tuning of the uke; not sure how you held pitch while singing with that accompaniment. :) If you have a smartphone, there are a number of free uke tuning apps available on most platforms. You may also want to start saving for a better uke. I think you will quickly outgrow the potential of the one you have.

Welcome aboard, Ryan. You have a good voice. I agree about the tuning of the uke; not sure how you held pitch while singing with that accompaniment. :) If you have a smartphone, there are a number of free uke tuning apps available on most platforms. You may also want to start saving for a better uke. I think you will quickly outgrow the potential of the one you have.

Thanks Drew, maybe I'll redo that video then if I get a chance. And yes, I downloaded a great app for tuning, but I think after playing for a while it went out of tune and I forgot to check it before I recorded again. I'll definitely keep that in mind for next time. And I agree about saving up, do you have any recommendations for a higher quality Uke at different price points? I do realize this one is just a beginner Uke and I would love to upgrade in the near future.

Other than the out-of-tune uke and over-powering "chunk", I thought you did great for a new player. I have a hard time chunking after 3 years of playing. And your singing is great! Keep 'em coming!

Lovely voice. I like your upper range.

Tuning-wise…went to see jazz legend Benny Chong last night. He played the entire first song out of tune, lol. Happens to the pros.

Haha thank you. Yeah, understandable, I'll just have to be more careful. Looking back at these videos already and I'm amazed at the progress I've made. I could hardly play without looking at the fret board before, I'm a lot more comfortable playing now, hopefully will upload more soon. Kind of holding off because I'm getting a new uke in about a month!

Top Bottom