PhD Strings

gyosh

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just replaced Worth hard clears (low g) on my Kamaka HF-3. They're a little thicker which I seem to like because the "g" string isn't as "floppy" as the Worths and there is a noticeable increase in volume and sustain. They have a nice balanced sound like Southcoast strings and no "boominess" from the low end. So far I likely!!!

And you acquired them where? ;)

I love them!!! I Met Jason at NAMM this year and he gave us some samples. I've tried a set on a Lacewood Kala Tenor and have decided to put them on my Kanile'a Islands Tenor as well. I also just order some for stock in our shop. Cheers!

www.anacapaukulele.com

I live two blocks from Ukulele Source.

And you have only five ukuleles? How do you have such self-restraint?

I'll be attending a private ukulele workshop in SJ on February 18, and I'm looking forward to my regular post-workshop visit to Ukulele Source.

Thanks for the tip about the strings. Is the low g wound or non-wound?

And you have only five ukuleles? How do you have such self-restraint?

I'll be attending a private ukulele workshop in SJ on February 18, and I'm looking forward to my regular post-workshop visit to Ukulele Source.

Thanks for the tip about the strings. Is the low g wound or non-wound?

Not so much "self restraint" as "teacher salary" :) The PhD's are non-wound low "g"

I just put a set on my LoPrinzi mahogany tenor and they do sound very nice. I usually like a wound low G, but the unwound G with this set sounds nicely balanced. Sort of "old timey" but with a little modern growl. Good sweetness in the trebles. And so far they are comfortable and easy to play.

Last edited:
I am just reviving this thread because I saw their ad in Kamuke. Was there any problem with the string fitting in the nut since it is thicker than the Worths?

I am just reviving this thread because I saw their ad in Kamuke. Was there any problem with the string fitting in the nut since it is thicker than the Worths?

I had a little trouble with the open "C" buzzing because it was too low. I built up the nut a bit using a trick I learned in Rick Turner's build class, filed it down to the action I wanted, and it's been fine since.

yeh i just changed strings i use tenor low g.... on my koaloha super concert and i agree the phds feel firmer and tighter than the factory strings from koaloha..the buzz on the g string is gone and the lows are richer..the highs are still nice..i read that they designed these strings for koaloha ukes...in my opinon much better than koaloha factory strings...

I just got some of these myself and put them on my KoAloha tenor. They are very sweet sounding with a nicely balanced low g, and I also like their sustain. They are also really comfortable to play. I am going to keep them on for a while before making my final decision, but they may have won me over from my standby Worths.

What I am using...and liking...are the Savarez Red Card strings with the nylon over nylon 1st, 2nd, and 3rd strings and the silver plated copper 4th string... a low G. If you use these, tune them up, and then take a few strokes up and down the string tops with some 400 grit sand paper to reduce string squeak. The strings sound wonderful on my personal all koa Compass Rose tenor; they are my personal faves of all I've tried. Very even harmonics, mellow, and tons of sustain.

I finally put a pair on my Kamaka tenor. They sound amazing. I run low G on everything and have used just about every string set known to man. These strings have really nice volume and sustain. I would compare them to T2's but they have a little rougher feel to them.

I finally put a pair on my Kamaka tenor. They sound amazing. I run low G on everything and have used just about every string set known to man. These strings have really nice volume and sustain. I would compare them to T2's but they have a little rougher feel to them.

The PhD's or the Savarez that Rick suggested?

I'm still using the PhD's and still really liking them.

Although I'm really curious about the Savarez strings now.

Hey Gyosh..i have a lowG PHD with savarez alliance uke strings on my CR..after trying 4 other sets this the best sound and feel..i have the exact savarez strings Rick talking about but going to wait and see if i want to try them..i am sure just as good as the set i have on now..or better..

Top Bottom