Uke lessons from a guitar instructor???

I would like to share all the negatives about trying it but really don't want to re-live the two months. The money I paid for the opportunity to teach him the basics of the Ukulele and how to play it was a waste, as was my time and loss of some of the abilities I had learned in a couple of books and on-line. I'm sure I learned something from just practicing/playing along with him, using incorrect, non-"accepted standards of fingerings", etc. but I'm not sure what. I thought that since he was a 50 year old locally well known professional guitar musician he would be better than me teaching myself. WRONG!!!!

I live in the greater Cincinnati area. I have found one ukulele instructor and he doesn't have an opening right now. If you know of anyone, I would love a recommendation!

I am in the wrong continent, sadly.

However, I bet there is a club, where you can play as part of a group. You'll meet other players and will get much better quickly. I did!

As with all professions, music teachers have a few bright stars floating over a sea of mediocraty. Uke Whisperer's experience is very unfortunate, and the teacher appears unscrupulous for taking his money.

That being said, demographics are such that there are far more excellent guitar instructors than ukulele instructors. (Unless you live on the islands, of course, you lucky bastards.)

Unfortunately, I have yet to meet an ukulele instructor that is worth the money. There are very few guitar instructors that I find suitable either.

The truly exceptional guitar teachers that I have met have all been multi-instrumental, and will appreciate the differences (as well as the similarities) between the various fretted instruments.

That being said (as a multi-instrumentalist, myself) I reject the premise that there is an incorrect way to play the ukulele (or guitar or whatever). The ukulele is a wooden box with strings and frets. Do with it as you choose. Specific techniques can be associated with STYLES of music, but should not constrain your exploration of he instrument, itself.

If you are a beginner, and you cannot find a suitable local instructor, I would recommend the book/Internet route to ukulele enlightenment. Be aware, however, that there is a lot of real crap out there professing to be instructional. Once you reach a higher skill level, you should seek out a MUSIC instructor (regardless of Instrument) who is able to improve your musicianship. That will make you a better player.

There a couple of musicians in our town who have set themselves up as ukulele teachers. Their credentials? One's a guitarist and one's a keyboard player.
They charge £12 per person for a 40-minute group lesson.

Friendly as we are, we invited them along to our club to see what they were about. Neither of them went near a ukulele in the 2 hours they were there, despite us frequently offering them ours to play. Hmmm.. draw your own conclusions!

At our ukulele club we encourage more than teach. Beginners get dragged along with everyone else, but there is always someone on-hand to show how a chord is formed and how a rhythm is strummed. What's more - we don't charge a penny!

My job is as a guitar tutor... I have lessons myself via skype.
I would say if you have a good idea about what you're doing technique wise then going the internet lesson route is really good, but if expect them to give you fundamental technique pointers such as drop your left hand wrist a touch, don't anchor your little finger on your right hand etc etc it's going much harder to do online...
If you have the motivation there are more than enough resources online to push yourself forwards... It depends what you want to get out of it.

Top Bottom