Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kamoa bass uke

Question Kamoa bass uke

these look interesting, has anybody played one? I'm wondering what the string tension is like and if they're similar to the Kala U-Bass.

http://kamoaukulelecompany.com/ukuleles.php?sid=49

thanks,

ramone

No, they don't have that sloppy feel with the steel strings. Also you can hear them some when they aren't plugged in. Very nice. Kamoa had the two best ukulele related new items at NAMM this year, this bass and the hollow bodied steel stringed electric uke. Sam's a very nice guy and his ukes are beautiful.

thanks, salukulady. steel strings! do you know if they're the same gauge as regular electric bass strings? did you get the chance to play one? I've played electric bass for a long time and when I tried the Kala, I couldn't get on with the rubbery feel of it. it didn't seem to have much volume either, but I tried it at a street fair and there was a lot of ambient noise. I really like those hollow body ukes, too. I'd love to get a red one!

-ramone

Aquilla has some new strings for the UBass - Thinderguts I think they are called.
    Bob

I tried a Kamoa "Bass" a few days ago (April 29). It was pretty cool, but I was disappointed to find out that it is pitched
    an octave above an electric or upright bass. In other words, it is pitched like the for bass strings of a guitar.
    I thought one could just as easily put the four bass (classical/nylon) strings on a baritone and get a better instrument.

wow. I think I would be disappointed, too.

I am still very curious about this instrument, which really is a true uke bass. The U Bass is awesome, but really is a contrabass sound. I wish there were more videos out there, as I hate to buy one just to try it out and maybe not like it.
    Milwaukee

Just uke it...uke it good....

http://madmajor.weebly.com/

Buddy, if the video in that link isn't enough to convince you, I don't know what else would.
    Mim has four of them listed in her e-bay store right now.

Since you already own a u-bass, it would be your next logical step.
    I know I drool over them, since they use flatwound strings.

As mentioned above, to experiment you could try stringing up a bari with something like the Thomastik classical guitar flatwounds, that's something I plan down the road...
    I have more ukes than I need, but not as many as I want.

Yeah, I saw that vid. Would be nice to hear some real bass lines and how the axe can handle them, not some guitarlike showboat stuff. It just sounds too guitarlike in that video, which turns me off.
    Milwaukee

Just uke it...uke it good....

http://madmajor.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DaleR View Post
    ..this instrument... really is a true uke bass...
    The Kamoa is essentially baritone uke, but instead of tuning same as the top four strings of a guitar, it's tuned to the bottom four.

A u-bass tunes the same as a bass guitar, using a baritone uke scale length and body.

So as a bass player, my perception is the Kamoa plays in the "piccolo bass" range, an octave above a "true uke bass."

Would be nice to hear some real bass lines and how the axe can handle them, not some guitarlike showboat stuff. It just sounds too guitarlike in that video, which turns me off.
    Again, since it's tuned identical to a guitar, that's what it's going to sound like.
    Bass players are frustrated lead guitar players, anyway.

I think I hear the potential of the instrument based on the video. I can imagine turning off the reverb, dialing in a more bassy tone and playing "real" bass lines on it.

But however real the bass lines, they would sound an octave above "real" bass pitch, right? Just like if a guitar were playing them.

...hate to buy one just to try it out and maybe not like it.
    Happens all the time. Why do you think there's a ukes for sale forum here?
    Mim has a 14 day return policy, you pay return shipping, can't be more fair than that.

Good luck in your "true" uke bass journey, there's getting to be an embarrassment of riches in instrument and string options.

Speaking of which, have you tried Pyramid wound strings or any of the Aquilas on your u-bass?
    I have more ukes than I need, but not as many as I want.

Thread Information