Kamoa bass uke

No, they don't have that sloppy feel with the steel strings. Also you can hear them some when they aren't plugged in. Very nice. Kamoa had the two best ukulele related new items at NAMM this year, this bass and the hollow bodied steel stringed electric uke. Sam's a very nice guy and his ukes are beautiful.

thanks, salukulady. steel strings! do you know if they're the same gauge as regular electric bass strings? did you get the chance to play one? I've played electric bass for a long time and when I tried the Kala, I couldn't get on with the rubbery feel of it. it didn't seem to have much volume either, but I tried it at a street fair and there was a lot of ambient noise. I really like those hollow body ukes, too. I'd love to get a red one!

-ramone

Aquilla has some new strings for the UBass - Thinderguts I think they are called.

I tried a Kamoa "Bass" a few days ago (April 29). It was pretty cool, but I was disappointed to find out that it is pitched
an octave above an electric or upright bass. In other words, it is pitched like the for bass strings of a guitar.
I thought one could just as easily put the four bass (classical/nylon) strings on a baritone and get a better instrument.

I am still very curious about this instrument, which really is a true uke bass. The U Bass is awesome, but really is a contrabass sound. I wish there were more videos out there, as I hate to buy one just to try it out and maybe not like it.

Buddy, if the video in that link isn't enough to convince you, I don't know what else would. :rolleyes:
Mim has four of them listed in her e-bay store right now. ;)

Since you already own a u-bass, it would be your next logical step.
I know I drool over them, since they use flatwound strings. :drool:

As mentioned above, to experiment you could try stringing up a bari with something like the Thomastik classical guitar flatwounds, that's something I plan down the road...

Yeah, I saw that vid. Would be nice to hear some real bass lines and how the axe can handle them, not some guitarlike showboat stuff. It just sounds too guitarlike in that video, which turns me off.

..this instrument... really is a true uke bass...

The Kamoa is essentially baritone uke, but instead of tuning same as the top four strings of a guitar, it's tuned to the bottom four.

A u-bass tunes the same as a bass guitar, using a baritone uke scale length and body.

So as a bass player, my perception is the Kamoa plays in the "piccolo bass" range, an octave above a "true uke bass."

Would be nice to hear some real bass lines and how the axe can handle them, not some guitarlike showboat stuff. It just sounds too guitarlike in that video, which turns me off.

Again, since it's tuned identical to a guitar, that's what it's going to sound like.
Bass players are frustrated lead guitar players, anyway.:p

I think I hear the potential of the instrument based on the video. I can imagine turning off the reverb, dialing in a more bassy tone and playing "real" bass lines on it.

But however real the bass lines, they would sound an octave above "real" bass pitch, right? Just like if a guitar were playing them.

...hate to buy one just to try it out and maybe not like it.
Happens all the time. Why do you think there's a ukes for sale forum here?
Mim has a 14 day return policy, you pay return shipping, can't be more fair than that.

Good luck in your "true" uke bass journey, there's getting to be an embarrassment of riches in instrument and string options.

Speaking of which, have you tried Pyramid wound strings or any of the Aquilas on your u-bass?

I am so tempted to just buy one and check it out. Not sure I need two bass ukes though, although they are such different instruments. Uke Republic has them in stock too!:confused:

And as a sound experiment, as was mentioned in an earlier thread, I just tuned my baritone down to EADG. There is a little buzz, but not bad. It is a cool tone too! I can definitely see how the Kamoa bass has a niche in the bass world.

Good luck in your "true" uke bass journey, there's getting to be an embarrassment of riches in instrument and string options.

Speaking of which, have you tried Pyramid wound strings or any of the Aquilas on your u-bass?

I have a new set of Thunderguts in my case, but I LOVE THE SOUND OF THE PAHOEHOES....:drool:

In the tuba world, we call a piccolo tuba a baritone, but I can see with folk instruments how things developed differently. I love the sound of my bari in standard tuning, but am very curious about the Kamoa tuning and its potential for use.:shaka:

Well, I made the next step. My baritone has been restrung as a bass baritone. Tension is just fine, but will monitor carefully to see if any problems start appearing. Seems to be less tension than the normal DGBE strings. The sound is awesome!!!

45785_447151638688694_1476277799_n.jpg

Here is a closeup. First time tying a string knot...it went quite well.

65934_447151475355377_1577186732_n.jpg

Tension is just fine and it has a sort spunky kind of sound when played hard...not really a slap bass, but punchy. This is a neat alternative for bass players!

Held up very nice against three acoustic guitars and singers. This is a real neat addition to the uke bass family!:shaka:

light classical guitar strings...bottom four...works perfectly, great tone, no buzz

Top Bottom