newbie advice please

stratman79

Reaction score
Hi I have a sop Banjo Uke...

I want to get a 'normal' uke and I think I want a tenor.

I was looking around the £300 mark but would be willing to push £500 for something if it was really worth the step up.

Has anyone heard of Weazelwharf in the uk ... he hand makes uke and will do one for around £500...

what off the shelf options are there for £300?? and £500 for that matter.

thanks in advance.

Don't know how much Islanders are in your area but they are the best (my opinion) bang for the buck. Around $150 US dollars here.

Can you push the budget any more - you are very close to being able to get a Koaloha or a Kanile'a and they are just incredible ukes.

If not, I'd agree with the above - the Islander Tenor (the solid wood one) would be a good choice. I would also recommend a Mainland.

Thanks Baz,
I can push budget if need be.
I'll look into the makes you mentioned.
I also was recommend a pono, is that up there with the other 2??
My only query is that these prices are getting near the price a luthier would make on for...
I'm not sure if a mass produced specialized uke company would make a better uke than a hand made luthier who makes great guitars???

Stratman79, I can't help you since I am far far away from the UK. Seems a well respected Luthier from around your neighborhood is on the forum. Can't think of his name. Pete something maybe. But I am with you, I like having luthier made ukes local to where I live and using local sustainable woods is fun too. Good luck finding a luthier. I don't know if it is appropriate but maybe you could take your question to the Luthier forum here on UU.

Top Bottom