tenor guitar.?

Very exciting! I bet you'll love it.
I do! it's like a big, fat baritone, but with gobs of tone and volume. Steel strings really sing, too. Not the best instrument for very song, but certainly adds to the musical experience. I forgot what it's like to play acoustic guitar with steel strings. It's like playing on cheese slicers. Oh, my aching fingertips... need thicker callouses.

Ian,
Did you tune yours DGBE then? I just switched strings/tunings a few days ago. I have to admit that the standard tuning is just a tad prettier to my ear, but now I can actually apply all the stuff I've learned on the uke, so my playing is better.
As for calluses, I thought I had them, but when I switched strings I stared playing for longer sessions. I'm back to the finger pain again, but I can't stop playing.

Ian,
Did you tune yours DGBE then? I just switched strings/tunings a few days ago. I have to admit that the standard tuning is just a tad prettier to my ear, but now I can actually apply all the stuff I've learned on the uke, so my playing is better.
As for calluses, I thought I had them, but when I switched strings I stared playing for longer sessions. I'm back to the finger pain again, but I can't stop playing.

Ha ha! Welcome to the *real* dark side! I just got my Blueridge back and I can't put it down. The guy who worked on it at SF Guitarworks said it was one of the sweetest tenor guitars he'd heard. I notice I get thicker calluses when I'm playing my tenor guitar a lot, but I don't mind. I love the sound of the steel strings!

Check: Blueridge 60T and 40T (I think the 40 is laminate), Goldtone has two tenors as well (one laminate, the other solid top) plus a tenor resonator. For electric solid-body tenors, check Eastwood/Airline.

Do you happen to know anything about this Eastwood Warren Ellis Signature Model electric tenor guitar? I'm afraid I'm now afflicted with TGAS and I'm starting to look at electric tenors. Are there any others you would recommend?

Last edited:
Ha ha! Welcome to the *real* dark side! I just got my Blueridge back and I can't put it down. The guy who worked on it at SF Guitarworks said it was one of the sweetest tenor guitars he'd heard.

Had a six-string-playing friend over yesterday who said the same thing and decided on the spot that she had to have a tenor, too.
I know nothing about electric tenors, but will watch carefully as you explore that world. Let us know what you pick up next!

Last edited:
Had a six-string-playing friend over yesterday who said the same thing and decided on the spot that she had to have a tenor, too.
I know nothing about electric tenors, but will watch carefully as you explore that world. Let us know what you pick up next!

I remember that you were concerned that your Blueridge might not sound as sweet with Chicago tuning. What do you think now?

I believe the original tuning is just a tad sweeter, but the trade-off has been worth it. It still sounds pretty amazing and now I can actually play some tunes!

There are several tunings that are popular, some open tunings among them. It can be tuned like a mandolin, too. I prefer DGBE ("Chicago" tuning) like a guitar because I don't have to relearn anything and I can play along with a baritone uke or guitar easily.

I bought a four-string cigar box guitar and tuned it open D. Figured out the basic chords - majors, minors, sevenths without too much problem. That was fun for a while, but the scale was the full 25" and I preferred the shorter scale. Sold the CBG. It's a relatively inexpensive choice if you don't want the full guitar.

The tenor is wonderful. Because it's steel-stringed, I can pick/strum it with my fingers or use a plectum. It sounds good either way. A bit tough on the fingertips until the callouses build up, though.

I haven't tried the Eastwood tenors, but I have been looking at them closely. They look great. I think Jupiter Creek and Soares also make electric tenors. Jupiter Creek may be doing just ukes these days, however.

I love tenor guitar. I do play from time-to-time, but I don't own one these days. A friend in town found one at cut-rate price and the bridge started lifting off the soundboard. The Blueridge is a very good value and solid-wood. If I bought one these days, that would be my choice. Martin did re-introduce a model in their "X" series and it is very nice tonally, but I'd rather have the Blueridge. Old Gibsons sound fantastic if you find one, but the going rate is about $1700 to $2000 in good condition.

Nice, but I'm always iffy on friction pegs, especiually with the extra tension of steel strings. You could replace them with Pegheds, of course... modern technology with the vintage look.

Picked up a Gold Tone T10 tenor today. Actually bought it as a gift for a friend. I tried playing it against the T18 - solid top - to see if there was a difference in tones. The strings are different (very light on T10, medium on T18), but I couldn't hear a lot of difference between the T10 and the T18 that wasn't the result of different strings. The price difference is about $300-$400 CAD, however. T10 comes with a gig bag, T18 with a hardshell case.

Ian, I've heard similar about the Blueridge (the 40 v. the 60). I'm quite happy with my T-40 and glad to have saved the extra $200 bucks.

Folks on the guitar forums say they are not, and I trust those dudes. But I'm betting they are comparable.

I had to lay off playing for a week or two while I finished a writing project and got back to playing again yesterday. As usual, I played too long -- my fingers are sore!!!!

I can't tell by the photos alone, but the Blueridge and Gold Tone may be the same guitar.

Top Bottom