Another Beginner question... from a beginner..

24hrdaydreamer

Reaction score
So I got a ukulele as a present and have spent a while playing around with it. I play by ear, and have picked up the chords pretty quickly. The problem came to when I wanted to learn how to chuck. I've watched almost every video on youtube and realized the problem was with how I strummed.
As I've been teaching myself I've been using my thumb, but I can't chuck with it properly.
What is the proper way to strum where you can get a clean up and down stroke and chuck?
I tried using my fingernail (holding an imaginary pick and using my index finger and thumb to strum) but I can't get my palm close to the strings to chuck. Am I holding it wrong? (fingers angled towards me)
I want to correct this asap before I get too used to using my thumb.
Sorry if this sounds noobish, but I've been teaching myself in my spare time, without any time to sit down and read up on the proper way.

I'm just learning to chuck as well.think I've got it pretty good now.what works for is to chuck after an up strum with my index finger.and on the way down I put my palm on the strings then bring my index back down.this is the easiest way for me :) just use the side of your finger pointing up the fretboard not facing up or down.
Hope this helps.second thought in the down strum flick your index down.dont strum a big motion with the hand

Last edited:
Yeah that does help a lot! It just sounds different because I usually play with my thumb, but I guess I should get used to playing with my fingers. I can get a chuck or two in a few times, but I still have to work on getting it consistently..

Has anyone else watched the Aldrene UU tutorial on chunking and left completely baffled?
If I do exactly precisely what he describes, it sounds like nothing like the right thing. The chords ring before muting, and his do not.

I suspect he's also holding the strings mute at the same time? I don't get it.

Aaron's demo here http://www.theukulelesite.com/video-lessons makes a little more sense to me. Also they both say "palm of the hand" but it looks more like the heel when you see Aaron turn to the side.

I can get this sometimes but definitely not consistently either.

24hrdaydreamer, as a noob too, I can say it takes a little getting used to using the index finger instead of the thumb, but once you've got it, it works very well! Keep at it, it'll come.

I do believe when they say palm mute.it really is the heel of your hand.its just simpler to say palm mute.saying heel mute would confuse people. Example. In martial arts when people do a palm strike.or as movies go (the Buddha Palm ) what they mean is the heel .using the actual center of your hand would just be a slap !lol Couldn't break a board with that .and yeah chucking, like anything just takes repetitive practice.

Top Bottom