My strumming hits the body of the ukulele!

Elegant.

Reaction score
Hello! I've had a month and some days with my wonderful Kala ASAC-T uke, and I'm doing okay, at least. :)

What I discovered is that my strumming (both down strums, but also up strums) hits the body, which causes some marks on the uke. For example, in the body area below the bridge, the area is starting to turn into a glossy, reflective view. It feels like I'm doing something wrong, or should it be like this? Am I digging to deep when I strum my ukulele and if I do, is this a beginner error?

After some research it seems like I don't hold the ukulele in the correct angle. This is probably a beginner mistake, since I always wanna see my left hand move correctly to build up the right chords. I'll try to hold it more perpendicular to the ground in the future.

Anything else to add?

If it's sounding good to you, you're not doing anything wrong.

Plus your uke will look cool and well-loved if your strumming wears off some of the finish.

Have you seen Willie Nelson's guitar?

Aint no one complaining about his playing technique.

3696548223_2f818afb5f.jpg

If it's sounding good to you, you're not doing anything wrong.

Yep, I think it sounds nice, but I think it can be even nicer. I also have a little buzzing on my C string (I think :p) and all in all, it could maybe be even greater! :D

Plus your uke will look cool and well-loved if your strumming wears off some of the finish.

Yeah, right? ;) I think so too. A used uke is a beloved uke!

Have you seen Willie Nelson's guitar?
Aint no one complaining about his playing technique.

Oh...

It may well be that you are strumming too aggresively. When I started getting serious, I tried to progress too quickly. I was strumming faster than my skill level would allow. I had to slow down and practice correct strumming technique. After you perfect a certain strumming pattern, the speed will come on it's own.

I was doing that a lot on my new tenor. I am having the action raised slightly, it was too low for me.

You have same problem as me.. got my new Lanikai tenor LU-21T, and was a bit frustrated as my strumming/chucking kept hitting the body..
Well like Nickie said, I might also try to raise the action..
Any tips on how to raise the action DIY instead of sending to shop?

Where on the fretboard/scale are you striking the strings? Although I know you get different sounds by striking or plucking the strings along different sections of the scale, I mostly use the area above the sound hole near where the neck joins the body. I do sometimes hit part of the upper bout, but I figure that's normal wear and tear on a uke, just like shiny areas on the most commonly used frets.

Top Bottom