first uke purchase

Uke_be_jamin

Reaction score
just have a question, im just getting into ukes and was wondering if anyone would recommend the Kala KA-SEM Exotic Mahogany Soprano as a beginner uke?. not sure what the difference is between that and the kala ka-s. price range seems to be about $20 or so more for the ka-SEM. thanks in advance!

First of all welcome to the world of Ukulele ! Well it looks like the dif. Is the ka sem just has the exotic finish to the wood.that highlights the grain patterns.makes it look either curly or flame top.also has black bindings around the body .where as the ka s just has a more plain finish with white bindings.
Question for you .do you have small hands ? Lol if not I would suggest trying a concert or a tenor size Uke before you buy.the 2 larger sizes have more frets to the body making it easier to play a wider range of songs...hope this helps.

Thanks!! I'm super excited about buying my first one. been youtubing different ones. what would you recommend for a first uke? I like the sound of the soprano but I plan to keep my first one for a bit till I get better, I don't want to get board if I'm limited with it though. And yes, I do have small hands small golf golves, small motorcycle gloves, and small snow gloves. .. think a concert would be too big?

No I don't think a concert would be to big at all. The frets aren't really that much larger.and you just have more of them to play down near the body. My girlfriend is from Thailand hands are like half of mine.lol she thought the supranos were cuter.but I bought her an Ohana concert for Christmas.And now she's glad I got her the concert.i would say if you can find a place near you that sells them. Give them all a try. I drive like 30 some miles to a place in horrible California traffic just to try different brands and sizes. Also remember you get what you pay for,an Uke is just like a guitar.if your gonna be playing it for awhile.dont be afraid to shoot for something about 150. Bucks .anything under or around 100 is sometimes hard to keep in tune.via cheapers tuners.and that takes a lot of the fun out of it.especially when you are new:)

Last edited:
Don't waste money on the Kala Exotic Mahogany models, they just have prettier wood, they DO NOT sound any different from their standard Mahogany models. You'll be absolutely fine with a KA-C as a first starter uke! :)

so concert or soprano first, cause in leaning more towards concert. Not sure when I'll be buying another one so I don't want to be limited with the soprano. Going to check some out in the morning.

The Kala exotic mahogony soprano is a sweet entry uke. I bought this for my daughter at Christmas and was much impressed. Very traditional sound, and lots of it, I might add. Go traditional soprano; you won't be sorry.

Lol supranos are a classic. But I would never own one. Just to small for me, and not a fan of the sound since I like playing modern songs not traditional Hawaiian songs.i personally can't really play concerts unless it's a super concert (a tenor sized neck ) but to each their own :) good luck trying them out.let us know what you choose.and if your like me.i like to have a nice looking Uke as well .and if the price difference is only 20 bucks. I would go for the one more appealing to my eyes :)

Concert

Either a concert or soprano would be fine. I have small hands for a guy, and I find the concert perfect. Any Kala soprano or concert would be perfect for getting started!

Sopranos are classic! No one should have a concert or a tenor without having a soprano.

Start with a soprano. Either of the ones you first selected will be just fine as a first uke.

Thank you guys! I went to check some out today and found that the kala Ka-slng is pretty awesome so I think I'm set on it. The only thing I didn't really like is that it's glossy but no big deal. I like the sous of the soprano and the fact that it's a long neck. I'll be purchasing over the weekend so when I get it I'll let you guys know how awesome it is! So excited!!!

+1 on the KA-SLNG... you're gonna like it!

Good choice for a first uke.

Top Bottom