String Change - FAIL

nix

Reaction score
I decided to do my very first string change last night. A month ago, a friend at the ukulele group changed one of my ukes from re-entrant Aquilas to low G clear Worths. I had some extra strings and I thought I could probably do it myself since I've watched several videos and I watched him changed the strings on my other uke.

I carefully cut away the old strings, making sure to pay attention to how the strings were tied at the bridge and wound on the pegs. I went to put the low G string into the slot on the bridge and discovered that it won't fit! I never noticed it before but the Flea bridge slots are different sizes for the different strings! The beautiful low G string would fit in the C slot or the E slot but not the skinny G slot. Frustration.

As soon as my local music store opens I'm going to go buy some regular high G tuned strings and I'll restring with those. I just wanted to share my frustration and give a word of warning to other Flea owners. Don't try to restring with low G unless you know enough to sand open the slot!

Hope everyone else is having a less frustrating Saturday!

Nix

Different sized slots in the nut are typical.

If you want to try the low-g, you can file the slot. I have done this before, it is not difficult.

However, if you do file the slot, you may have buzzing/too-low-action if and when you return to high-g strings.

I'd suggest you just go ahead and try the low G string on the standard G slot for the nut. You may find that it does settle at least part-way in to the slot, and that it's low enough so there isn't any noticeable buzz or intonation problems within the first seven frets.

If there are problems, then you can either file the slot yourself, have a luthier do it, or just get a dedicated "low G" nut to use when you switch to that tuning.

Last edited:
He's talking about the BRIDGE string slot. Happened to me when putting low g on a standard bridge. Had to carefully file the slot to fit the g string(larger diameter). If you try this yourself, take it slow and easy, I used a piece of cardboard taped to the top to protect it will filing..............................BO........................

Oh, that's good to know! I always worry about strings not fitting in the nut but I had never thought before about whether a fatter string would fit in the bridge or not. Thanks for the heads-up!

Thanks for all the advice. I sort of did try to file the bridge slot. I don't have any metal files that were thin enough to fit in the narrow slot. I even tried an actual nail file and that was too thick to fit in the slot. I guess I would need to use sand paper and I'm not confident enough to try that yet.

Nix

just borrow the wifes nail file and widen the slot lol.

just borrow the wifes nail file and widen the slot lol.

Hi poppy - I'm a woman and I have my own nail files :eek: Even my nail file was too wide for the slot. The G string slot is REALLY narrow. Since my post this morning I've been to the store and bought some Martin M600 strings. They went on very nicely and have a lovely, sweet sound.

Nix

Since my post this morning I've been to the store and bought some Martin M600 strings. They went on very nicely and have a lovely, sweet sound.

Nix

I'm glad you like the M600s. That's what I have on my Flea as well, after trying Aquilas and Worths. They really sing.

That's a mighty purty Lagoon Flea you've got. You'd better keep it protected with the gig bag! :rolleyes:

I hope it's not a wound low-g. I've heard that they can wear away at the Flea's plastic frets.

zac987 - It wasn't a wound low G, it was the fluorocarbon one from Worth. I wouldn't want a wound string on one of my ukes.

Ingrate - The M600s are great! Thanks for suggesting them. I can hardly wait for them to get all the way stretched out. Thanks also for the gig bag! My precious Flea will make her inaugural, made-for-Fleas-gig-bag-protected trip to local uke club on Tuesday.

Nix

Top Bottom