Biggest loser fail

Nickie

Reaction score
Well, not only did I not manage to shed any pounds during the Biggest Loser Contest so far, I GAINED 5 pounds. WTH?
I do love to eat, and am lazy as hell, but COME ON body! Geez...
So, being most dismayed at myself, today I joined weight watchers. I began eating smaller portions, drinking more water (I'm out of wine) and startted my excercises again (boring). I was darn near out of points after lunch, and was scared I'd starve to death! But I'm still upright and breathing. This is only the 1st day...
Wish me luck!

Don't feel alone; I'm missing a thyroid gland (went away from an autoimmune disease when I was 14 and a skinny lass at that) and I lost 3 lbs (COUNT'EM) when I did four months of grueling boot camp workouts at a local gym this winter. I did look toned, though. THen I had to stop as I injured my knee (tore the meniscus doing squats, which they pretty much do all the time, five variations of them) and at my six decade age, I cannot afford to have to replace the knee. And what do you know? Eating right, the weight piled back on.

So back to another type of exercise (no squats!) It is frustrating. And if you are a woman, it is harder. We hang onto pounds to make babies, and then after the big M, we don't lose weight easily neither.

Weight watchers is VERY good. My sister suggests the online membership to log in as well as the meetings. And you might try a body bug--this is a wrist device with a small subscription fee that monitors your sleep, your walking and more, so you can track your exercise and this will help you along with counting your food points. You WILL succeed.

Nickie..
Don't feel bad.. Just keep on moving forward and learning about what you can eat. I have my own story.. Lost 120lbs became a certified personal trainer, started working on my masters in nutrition and started gaining back HALF the weight I lost in the process even though I exercise and eat healthy most of the time.. embarrassing etc..
I did two rounds of UUBL unsuccessfully and decided not to join this round out of humiliation. However I kept moving forward.. for the first time in a long time. I lost 8 lbs with a local group so far.
Keep eating healthier and healthier foods and my biggest suggestion is to find exercise that you like and don't find boring. Despite all my ups and downs I haven't stopped exercising and it has made a HUGE difference in my health overall so I wont stop...
Keep up the good work and never give up on yourself!

Well, not only did I not manage to shed any pounds during the Biggest Loser Contest so far, I GAINED 5 pounds. WTH?
I do love to eat, and am lazy as hell, but COME ON body! Geez...
So, being most dismayed at myself, today I joined weight watchers. I began eating smaller portions, drinking more water (I'm out of wine) and startted my excercises again (boring). I was darn near out of points after lunch, and was scared I'd starve to death! But I'm still upright and breathing. This is only the 1st day...
Wish me luck!

Have you tried looking for some sort of exercise that gets you moving, but isn't boring? I live in Germany where bikes are a necessary part of life, so that's how I get my exercise. Or you could find a dance class, a sport you enjoy, nice hiking trails, anything that gets you moving but isn't actually sitting in a gym doing reps.

Have you tried looking for some sort of exercise that gets you moving, but isn't boring? I live in Germany where bikes are a necessary part of life, so that's how I get my exercise. Or you could find a dance class, a sport you enjoy, nice hiking trails, anything that gets you moving but isn't actually sitting in a gym doing reps.

+1. Find a bicycle group in your area. Bikes are fun and not really high impact so you can jump right in and get good cardio. Bicycling is great to firm up the bootie and the legs. You still need to do other exercise for the stomach but you'll have the energy to do so once you start bicycling.
When I first rediscovered bicycling, I rode around the park after work for 2 weeks (2 1/2 miles) and went from 200 lbs to 185.
Go to this forum, http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php . It's for bicyclists like the underground is for uke players. You can find folks in your part of the world to ride with.
Ernest

I agree on the bicycling. It's fun, it's low impact, and if you've ever done it, well... it's just like riding a bike! I've been a cyclist since college, although I started running in April and lost a lot of weight that way (about 40 pounds). I wouldn't have had the wherewithal to stick with running if I hadn't been in pretty good cardio shape from 25 years of cycling. You can lose weight cycling, but you can lose it faster running. But cycling is easier and a LOT more fun. I didn't actually LIKE running for about the first four or five months.

Don't be so hard on yourself, just start from where you are now! ;)

I find a great book and get on the exercycle. Well, in theory I do! I used to do it habitually and was 20 pounds lighter. There is no place for one in our current tiny abode, so I have to go to the garage. But it's a way to do a steady rate and just build fitness by going longer, until you can crank up a notch. Easier on knees than running.

One of the best ways for me to lose weight, and I finally gave in and have put myself back on it, is a no grains diet with a lot of vegetables like squashes, cruciferous veggies, and stuff like Chinese peas rather than peas, not starchy veggies like potatoes or beans. Our grains are so messed up from being bioengineered that they aren't a good food product. I'm not even talking Monsanto, but just our millennia of cultivating grains by picking the biggest and plumpest for seed grain plus modern hybridization. We can't really digest it now and weren't designed to subsist on it, and it is in almost everything that is processed. I try not to eat anything too processed.

I like to use avocados and nuts for a protein replacement, but in moderation as they have a lot of fat but it is a healthy fat. I still have a little chocolate but cut out any other sweets. I already seldom ever eat fruit except for dried blueberries and cherries, no fruit juices, and no pastries or baked goods of any kind. I cut my portions in half a couple of years ago and it still hasn't helped, but amping up my exercise has made my pants looser. I would love to walk more but my hip flexors are so tight from too much sitting in an ergonomically bad chair at my last job. It takes me a half mile to get loosened up on a good day. I switched to a backless chair where you sit on your rear and shins, but I want to get a balance ball for my desk chair, to work my core more.

The other thing that helps me is drinking more water. I'll put half of a lemon or lime in it for the diuretic effect too.

Top Bottom