Acacia v's Mahogany

stratman79

Reaction score
Think I am going to fork out on a Pono in the coming days.
It is looking like my choice is between a Acacia or a Mahogany model.
Both are totally solid.

Mahogany is a more traditional wood but Acacia is related to Koa and IMO looks a little nicer than the Mahogany...

What is the general opinion??

Aloha stratman79,
In my limited experience, the Acacia wood sound is brighter than the Mahogany. And yes, the Acacia does look better for the most part. Do you want looks or sound? You can also compromise with strings to get the sound you want. Different strings made a world of difference on my KPK, mellowed it out nicely. My Mahogany sang beautifully with Martin 600s.
Good luck in your decision...................................BO........................

I'm new to the Ukulele myself, but decided I wanted something better than an entry level lanikai. After several weeks of researching I settled on the Pono Acacia Deluxe (On order from HMS now). I've only been able to play the non deluxe version of the acacia but got the Deluxe ($120 more) for the looks. I always ask myself, 'when I get this, am I going to be disappointed I didn't get the other.' I knew I would be if I didn't get the stunning acacia.

I'll steal/paraphrase a quote I read somewhere on ukuleleunderground: "A beautiful uke is a played uke." For me that means to get something that will inspire me to pick it up and play it.

I like the acacia melanoxylon for its sound and its looks. That is why I am a Lehua dealer ( www.Lehuaukuleles.co) I would not buy anything from a company who is deceitful enough to call their product Portugese koa. All of the bling added to a uke really does not add to the sound, and I can't see it while I am playing it. Side dots help, and banding around the edges keeps the dings from happening as easily as just raw edged ones get dinged.

I'm new to the Ukulele myself, but decided I wanted something better than an entry level lanikai. After several weeks of researching I settled on the Pono Acacia Deluxe (On order from HMS now). I've only been able to play the non deluxe version of the acacia but got the Deluxe ($120 more) for the looks. I always ask myself, 'when I get this, am I going to be disappointed I didn't get the other.' I knew I would be if I didn't get the stunning acacia.

I'll steal/paraphrase a quote I read somewhere on ukuleleunderground: "A beautiful uke is a played uke." For me that means to get something that will inspire me to pick it up and play it.

I'm new to the uke and went with a better uke to start with as well. I chose the Acacia over the Mahogany, just for a little brighter sound. I have the Pono Acacia tenor in the satin on the way, should be here any day now.

Spoke to the guy in the shop - I couldnt get down to try them out...

He said that he thought the Pono's where better in Mahogany, so I took his word and have gone blind!!

GOt a stagg pod case and a set of Worths with a low G to complete the set..

Should be here monday!

:)

I play Pono Baritones when we perform. On stage, I have played my Mahogany Deluxe during the same set as my Acacia Deluxe. Bothe are loaded with Southcoast linears (GCEA) through a MiSi/L.R. Baggs pickup system.

Both are wonderful instuments. But there is obviously a huge difference in sound. We play Jazz and Swing and the mahogany really captures the mellow, warmer tones associates with the music. The Acacia is so much louder and brighter. Wrong for Jazz but great for more contemporary stuff. Sometimes we'll do a later Folk tune or Western Swing. The Acacia and my Cedar top seem to fill the bill in this area nicely. Although 90% of the performance is played on the Mahogany. I think you'll be happy with the choice. Enjoy!

I bought an Acacia Pono on New Years Eve. I have since had a misis pickup added to it. I like the sound when I pick this uke. Very clear sound. It also stands up well when strummed HARD like a rock song.
I go to an adult uke class where we perform a few times a year as an ensemble. This is the uke that I usually bring to these sessions.

Top Bottom