Jake Shimabukuo Concert in South Jersey

So cool!!!! I'm so glad it went so well. When I saw Jake last December I was first in line to see him after the show (thank you dedicated hubby) and I got the exact feeling you described while talking to him. He looked me in the eye and focused completely on me and what I was saying.....not the 500 other people behind me. I can't wait to see him again this year.

So cool!!!! I'm so glad it went so well. When I saw Jake last December I was first in line to see him after the show (thank you dedicated hubby) and I got the exact feeling you described while talking to him. He looked me in the eye and focused completely on me and what I was saying.....not the 500 other people behind me. I can't wait to see him again this year.

Jake is the same way with the last person in line.

Jake is the same way with the last person in line.

Well, to be honest, I was the last person in line at the concert I attended, and I don't know if Jake was just tired, or if I pissed him off or something but....

My bad. Jake is a winner, with a killer smile and a heart of gold.

Let me say, Ed, it's nice that you wrote your true experience on here, b/c these old threads come up when someone searches them, and the way you told it, the way you wrote it, is meaningful.

Wow, Jake. Wow.

Postscript: Ed, I love you, man, but you honestly asked Jake S, the best stringed instrument player on the entire planet, to sign your laminated beginner uke? I'm peeing my pants laughing over here, brah.

Postscript: Ed, I love you, man, but you honestly asked Jake S, the best stringed instrument player on the entire planet, to sign your laminated beginner uke? I'm peeing my pants laughing over here, brah.

Yea-- it was awkward but hey. he was playing my Kanile'a K-1 Deluxe tenor with premium koa. Declared it "gorgeous". Loved the grain of the Koa and the finish. I took it out of his hands, put it back in its case. put the humidifier in, and pulled out the Kala and asked him to sign it. I think he understood :) I hope so anyway

Last edited:
Yea-- it was awkward but hey. he was playing my Kanile'a K-1 Deluxe tenor. Declared it beautiful. Loved the grain of the Koa and the finish. I took it out of his hands, put it back in its case. put the humidifier in, and pulled out the Kala and asked him to sign it. I think he understood :) I hope so anyway

Oh- and correction Steve--- the Kala is solid Mahogany back and sides with a spruce top. no laminates here- never touch the stuff. When I pulled out the Kala, Jakes eyes lit up. (I'll leave it up to you to determine what he was thinking)

Steve- I saw a guy ask Jake to sign one of those painted toy ukes from the ABC Store. If the lanakai that I am getting from Mim had arrived, I would have asked him to sign that one: but, no sorry, no signatures on the "K" brands I own: Kanile'a, Kamaka, or KoAloha. The only uke that I own to get a signature begins with "k" and ends with "ala"

Yeah, I felt a little funny having him sign my Lanikai but now it sits in the LR and when I see it it makes me smile and remember the good time at the show and what a great guy Jake is.

I am confused on why you think it is funny or wrong to have Jake sign a laminate uke. I am sure many people have had him sign their expensive ukes but many are not comfortable with that. As the OP mentioned Jake is one of the most gracious and humble people around. He probably has signed thousands of ukes both expensive and inexpensive. I never gave it a second thought when I had him sign my laminate uke a couple of years ago. I also had him play my Kamaka after another concert so that he could give it some of his mojo.

Anyway, to the OP - glad to hear the concert and your time with Jake went well.

I am confused on why you think it is funny or wrong to have Jake sign a laminate uke. I am sure many people have had him sign their expensive ukes but many are not comfortable with that. As the OP mentioned Jake is one of the most gracious and humble people around. He probably has signed thousands of ukes both expensive and inexpensive. I never gave it a second thought when I had him sign my laminate uke a couple of years ago. I also had him play my Kamaka after another concert so that he could give it some of his mojo.

Anyway, to the OP - glad to hear the concert and your time with Jake went well.
Thanks, Mandarb. by the way, I don't think Coolkayaker1 really had a problem with it-- he was just bustin' on me. it had nothing to do with laminates, really. I was not even sure I was going to have Jake sign a uke because if I did, then I would not want to lose the signature and it would be unplayed. the uke I had him sign is my travel uke, that really do only use when I travel. so, I was lucky enough to have a uke that I don't play everyday and could get Jake's signature on. Plus, I really like the way it looks on that spruce top. I have a signed poster from the gig, a signed CD jacket and the uke. I may just put them all in a frame and hang on the wall of the arts center. A friend of mine was unsure too. He had a Koa Pili Koko tenor. but then, Jake picked it up and started playing it in the lobby. He got it on video so he said to me, "I gotta get him to sign it now."

What you said about the Mojo is true. I thought my Kanile'a was a bit closed. Jake tried it and declared it good and said for me to give it some time to open. He said it is a wonderful tone but still needs to open up a bit. He said just keep playing it and it will open and sound as good as it looks. I know this is crazy but the dang thing sounds more open already :)

Good Bless the "mojo"

I actually opted to have him sign my case, which came out really cool with the silver sharpie, will edit the post with a picture at some point. I was near the end of the line too and he was (and is) so gracious and warm and friendly to talk to. I was way more star struck this time than in Princeton in December.

I was not even sure I was going to have Jake sign a uke because if I did, then I would not want to lose the signature and it would be unplayed.

I knew once I had him sign my uke I would not play it again and it would just be a display piece....

IMG_0453.jpg

Last edited:
I actually opted to have him sign my case, which came out really cool with the silver sharpie, will edit the post with a picture at some point. I was near the end of the line too and he was (and is) so gracious and warm and friendly to talk to. I was way more star struck this time than in Princeton in December.

He was so warm and gracious the entire day, and I know the night before was grueling (two shows and a very sleepiness night in the hotel in downtown Newark). He was exhausted but still gave his all, and made time for every person.

Honestly I've seen Jake 4 times and this is the most enthusiastic I've seen him play.

He signed my uke, and I still play the heck out of it. But when I get a new one, this one will be on display most of the time.

Top Bottom