which uke should I get?

UK Paulie

Reaction score
I've had some problems with the last couple of ukes I've bought and just got 2 refunds on lesser priced uke's so now I can get something decent. In the running is, Pono AC solid acacia, Ohana CK300G koa concert, Mainland red cedar tenor and the Kala Ka ASAC TE. The pono and the kala are pushing it a bit price wise but I want this to be the last uke I buy before my custom build so does anyone have experience with any of these? Anyone offer any advice at all? I'm open to other suggestions too, nobody's ever steered me wrong on here, you're a fantastic lot!! Thanks.

You need to play them all and don't pay attention to brands or looks. Go for sound!
What one sounds and feels the best to you? .. is it moving, can you feel the sound when you play it? Get the one that you can feel....
A good instrument in not a brand but a quality! When I play production ukuleles this is what I look for.
As a friend of mine said about vintage instruments: "if it was junk then it is junk now" the same goes the other way: Good now, good 100 years from now!
Enjoy
Oceana Ukuleles, made by hand, to be played with your heart!
www.oceanaukuleles.com

I guess you could narrow it down a bit if you just decide concert or tenor, then electric or non electric. These decisions aren't about brand or quality or looks or vintage.

I think the Pono sounds fantastic. A little bit warmer than a Koa but not as warm as a Mahogany. Very well balanced. Have no experience with the Ohana but have heard great things about the mainland. Be careful when buying Kala instruments. Make sure you try them before you buy. Their consistency is not great. some are great, some arent very good.

Top Bottom