What's with this Jake's book being out hoopla?

Well I, for one, am very excited about it. It may be a coffee table book for me, (a guy with very little chance of being able to play any of that stuff) but for some it'll be a wonderful tool to greatly enhance their ukulele experience. For me, it's at least an opportunity to thank one guy who changed my life for the better. In fact, I hope everybody in the UU community buys it. I think Jake Shimabukuro is largely responsible for the ukulele being what it is today. He's done so much for us, I'm returning the favor the only way I can.

Last edited:
it might sound weird but i learned to play most of the instruments i play now by listening to alot of the music i loved and then translated it to actual playing with no aid from books etc. . my piano teacher once told me that if i wanted to be a great musician, i should do more playing she was merely there to teach kids to be music piece readers and somehow get paid in the process. it helped me a lot commiting to the instrument knowing that im playing my favorite songs. different strokes for different folks i guess. sorry if ive offended anyone

Last edited:
you haven't offended anyone bro. I'm beyond bored with all the jake shimabakuro talk, like there were no incredible uke players before or contemporaneous with him. One day last December there were 7 threads up at the one time on page 1 of the uke talk board...all about js. you gotta be kidding me. Hundreds and thousands of views on a thread about his book being delayed a week or two? wtf? Personally I don't see him as being responsible for the rise of the uke in the 2000's any more than many others out there...I know many people who bought and played ukes before he was even a twinkle in his dad's eye. His music is something to be appreciated but really, what he's playing isn't what most ukers are into. Sure he's a great player and sure he's humble and very generous with his time, but this over-indulgent pseudo-worship stuff I don't get at all. We need to branch out and start to appreciate the genius and musicality of other wonderful ukers as well, and there are a great many of those.

you haven't offended anyone bro. I'm beyond bored with all the jake shimabakuro talk, like there were no incredible uke players before or contemporaneous with him. One day last December there were 7 threads up at the one time on page 1 of the uke talk board...all about js. you gotta be kidding me. Hundreds and thousands of views on a thread about his book being delayed a week or two? wtf? Personally I don't see him as being responsible for the rise of the uke in the 2000's any more than many others out there...I know many people who bought and played ukes before he was even a twinkle in his dad's eye. His music is something to be appreciated but really, what he's playing isn't what most ukers are into. Sure he's a great player and sure he's humble and very generous with his time, but this over-indulgent pseudo-worship stuff I don't get at all. We need to branch out and start to appreciate the genius and musicality of other wonderful ukers as well, and there are a great many of those.

Amen! couldnt have said it any better. i agree with everything youve said

Amen! couldnt have said it any better. i agree with everything youve said

I'm in agreement here as well. While Jake is a great player and seems like an all-around good guy, I don't get it either - especially why anyone would want to play his arrangements, note for note. If I ever become skilled enough to play on that level, I certainly hope I'm improvising and playing by ear and not having to rely on tab anymore!

When the book came out several fellow ukers got it and asked me "when" I was going to get mine, which I thought was funny since I have no plans to get it at all! Just not my thing. But hey, it it makes others happy and keeps them playing the uke, then it's all good :)

yep i agree as well never heard of Jake before i started playing, and i did'nt know about him until i started posting on here, in my uke club only one or two of the guys has ever heard of him, he is a great player though, i just want to play like me and be happy

I agree with Jon. I think Jake is a great player and really nice person, but the over=hype on his playing and influence is a bit much. Look around and listen and you will realize there are MANY really wonderful Uke player among us, and many actually on the level or even better than Jake ( Just to mention our own Aldrine and Ken for a couple :). I could go into a long list of those players, both professional and amateur, but it would make for a very long reply to this thread. Many just do not get enough credit for their talent and efforts. as to the book, my gosh there are many many great books available, both published and e-book that are fantastic, and probably easier to play. Lozark oh yes , and by the way. Does he, or Music Mike or some of other "great players" even belong to UU and support our site, which is maybe the most important uke site we have for our love for the Ukulele? I don't see any posts ever from these players. Maybe some posts and advice, teaching, and comments sometimes would be helpful and interesting.

Last edited:
I "wanna" play and sing like eugene ukulele when I grow-up.

I believe that, like it or not, Jake has become the public "face" of the ukulele due to his YouTube videos, particularly While My Guitar Gently Weeps which is currently at almost 10,000,000 views. Of the non-ukulele players who have heard of the uke as a serious instrument it's almost always because of Jake.

Jake also happens to be an awesome guy—warm, friendly, handsome, and outgoing. I won't argue about whether he's the best ukulele player out there, but he seems to be the best ukulele ambassador. Be thankful we have him, because our previous uke ambassador ended up being Tiny Tim.

Last edited:
I believe that, like it or not, Jake has become the public "face" of the ukulele due to his YouTube videos, particularly While My Guitar Gently Weeps which is currently at almost 1,000,000,000 views (yes, that's a Billion with a B).
That number is incorrect...too many zeros.

Wow, what the heck was I thinking? Too early in the morning for me. Fixed. :)

Amen Eugene....you hit the nail right on the head!! :agree::agree:

He is a guy making a living doing what he loves. We should all be so fortunate! I am happy to support him just as I am happy to order a book from Aaron or a uke from MGM.

A rising tide floats all ships.

He is a guy making a living doing what he loves. We should all be so fortunate! I am happy to support him just as I am happy to order a book from Aaron or a uke from MGM.

what about our very own Aldrine, kalei and a bunch of other guys? or is it just jake this and jake that until the cows comehome.

yes, good point Freeda, I think we are agreed here. This issue at hand is perhaps that, to read the forums sometimes, you'd think there was only one big ship sailing in the ocean... :)

Can't we praise and highlight the many other talented uke players out there without diminishing what Jake has done or scoffing at folks who are excited about his first songbook?

Top Bottom