can't remove friction tuner

barefootgypsy

Reaction score
I've put a comment on an old thread about this but thought it would be better to start a new one. My new vintage Slingerland banjo uke appears in nice condition but one of the tuners slips, and the screw at the top is already as tight as it will go - so I decided to get the tuner out and give it the treatment I've seen recommended - first problem, it won't come out? Am I missing something - I've taken the screw out of the top, no problem, but I can't get it apart to come out of the wood. It just goes round and round. Is something seized up in there? This is one of the tuners
SL273260.jpg
I hope someone can help - thanks!

Let's see, you've got the screw out, removed the black button and should be able push or lightly tap on the end of the shaft where the screw and button were and have the tuner shaft come out on the side of the head where the strings are. You shouldn't need to turn and twist anything if those old tuners are anything like the modern ones.

Jude

Let's see, you've got the screw out, removed the black button and should be able push or lightly tap on the end of the shaft where the screw and button were and have the tuner shaft come out on the side of the head where the strings are. You shouldn't need to turn and twist anything if those old tuners are anything like the modern ones.

Jude

Hi Jude -I've taken the screw out but nothing else will come out - the whole thing will turn round and round in its hole, but I can't remove the black button - nor can my more beefy husband! Thanks for the info on how it's supposed to come out - maybe it has indeed seized up in there....?

The button is stuck on the tuner shaft. I'd put the screw back in, but only a couple of turns so it can be lightly tapped with a small hammer. (As an alternative, you could use something longer, such as an appropriate size nail, allen wrench, etc.) This should eventually dislodge the shaft from the button. Bear in mind that this may damage the tuner, if that matters.

Good luck!

:)

The button is stuck on the tuner shaft. I'd put the screw back in, but only a couple of turns so it can be lightly tapped with a small hammer. (As an alternative, you could use something longer, such as an appropriate size nail, allen wrench, etc.) This should eventually dislodge the shaft from the button. Bear in mind that this may damage the tuner, if that matters.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for that! It's good to know what is actually wrong with it, and how it's supposed to be...... I'll get straight on to it! :)

Well, success! I've finally got the tuner out! I must admit I was a bit anxious about taking a hammer to it, albeit a small one.... the tuners are the originals, nearly 90 years old and the last thing I want to do is damage them - so I tried a drop of light machine oil in it, and on the outside, where the button meets the brass bell-like casing. After a few hours and a determined pull, the button came off. Brilliant - thanks to all who helped!

I'm glad you were successful!

The tightly stuck button was likely the reason you couldn't adjust that tuner. Now that it's apart, you can probably just re-install it...

Yes, I've cleaned the tuner up a bit and reinstalled it with a thin home-made rubber washer between it and the head - and I think it's stopped it slipping now! Great - first step towards sorting out the sound! Next step - the nut! These banjo-ukes are demanding little darlings...... ! :)

Top Bottom