Strings

chloechords

Reaction score
Silly question I know, but I really need to re string my guitar and I don't know what strings to buy... I have a super old Yamaha FG-335, any help would be much appreciated!!

Depends what style you play - strummer/picker? Lighter gauge like 11s usually suit pickers while heavier gauge suit strummers. Martin and D'Addario are always ok as are Elixir. I love Martin SP Custom lights on my beater as a good all round compromise, but I use John Pearse 510L Phospor Bronze and Silk Wound light gauge on my Marin 000-15s

If you really do not know how to string a guitar you might want to take it to a local music store. They may charge you for restringing but it's worth it, especially if they let you watch. Just get some cheap Phosphor Bronze light (10's) or Medium (11's), you can try other brands every 3-6 months and restring yourself once you've seen it a few times.

BTW, if your local store is not friendly, helpful, and let's you watch - find another store or an experienced player who will help. Even if you have to pay an instructor, it's worth it in the long run. I wasted lots of money putting strings on wrong!

Elixers have a teflon style coating that resists corrosion from sweaty fingers. Good to have if you're an occasional player. The strings won't go dead nearly as quickly as uncoated strings.

I've strung it before but never bought strings for it myself :p I'm going to go have a look and see what the local music shop has, thank you very much guys :)

Another vote for Elixirs. I'm new to the uke but I've played guitar for almost 35 years. I was never loyal to any one brand of strings until about ten years ago when I played someone else's guitar and mentioned how much I like the sound of new strings. I was floored when he told me his strings were actually about six months old Elixirs. So I tried them and now I won't use anything else. They don't don't really sound any better than Martins or D'Addarios. They just sound that good for a longer period of time.

The polyweb coating is slightly thicker so it lasts a little bit longer. Some people have told me it deadens the sound a bit but I don't hear the difference myself (at least not on my Martin.) So I usually get the polyweb. But your mileage may vary.
And you're welcome.

The only strings I use these days are D'Addario EXPs - usually the 12s (light gauge) - they sound equally well on my old cedar top Takamine and my newer spruce top Tanglewood. I find Elixirs to be a bit 'rubbery' and lacking sustain, although I have a set on my mandolin and they seem quite good!

Dan :)

Top Bottom