Guitar Underground ?

wildnotions

Reaction score
I have been getting into Uke after being stalled with guitar for years. The UU site has been an amazing resource for me. Eventually I would like to improve my guitar playing. Does anyone know of a site similar to Ukulele Underground for guitar players?

Last edited:
I belong to a few guitar forums. But quite honestly, none of them come even close to UU. Ukulele people are just plain nicer :D

There is a section of the UU Forum dedicated to guitar too.

Why is it that uke players are nicer? Really, in my short time of playing the uke, I have noticed that there is a much greater sense of community. It's one of the main reasons I enjoying playing the ukulele. I do miss the heartiness of that guitar sound at times.

There are forums for Taylor, Collings, Martin, and many others. I participate in regularly are the unofficial taylor guitar forum and the acoustic guitar forum. I do have to say that out of all of them the UTGF is a little cozier, probably BC it just started up and only has a few hundred members right now. I find the larger forums are not as friendly, they have 10s of thousands of members who have been around for ages.

Why is it that uke players are nicer?

It's because uke players never fear they will grow up to look like Keith Richards or Ron Wood....

I think Uke players are a much smaller group and have formed a comraderie. Also, there isn't anything badass about the uke. No chest pounders in here. To tell the truth, I am a big muscle bound type of guy and I play the uke because you don't have to prove anything on the uke. It is just fun and everyone loves it. The guitar is actual work!!! I just started and love it but it is actual work and not all of it is fun. Uke people are nicer.

UG or ultimate-guitar.com always helped me out.
Lots a tips and lessons and a forum. Albeit not as good as UU but still....

Why is it that uke players are nicer? Really, in my short time of playing the uke, I have noticed that there is a much greater sense of community. It's one of the main reasons I enjoying playing the ukulele.

I think it's because the uke is such a happy instrument. Start playing a uke and see if people don't start smiling. And, apparently it's very contagious. :)

I think guitar players are grouchy because of the steel strings slicing up their fingers, frustration from not having 7 fingers, having to lug a gigantic case around, guitar strap chafing, and bad mood from looking for these little plastic things that are always lost. just anti social people in general.

You get a group of guitar players together and they all want to shred it up to see who the "best" player is.

Get a group of uke players together and we'll all just crack a beer (or not) and say "what do you want to jam to" and other things like "damn, that's great.. show me how you do that," and "that's an awesome uke, can I try it out?"... and the answer is always "sure, here you go."

And ultimately, "You gonna make it to UWC?"

Last edited:
But on the "up side" of playing guitar, no one asks you to play "Tiptoe Through The Tulips"

We drink beer too!!

:music:

Last edited:
But on the "up side" of playing guitar, no one asks you to play "Tiptoe Through The Tulips"

We drink beer too!!

:music:

I hate it when that happens. (Being asked to play Tiptoe... Not the drinking beer part!)

I act like I never heard of the song, and as if I had never heard of Tiny Tim. Sometimes I can get them to sing it for me. :biglaugh: "How's it go? As you sure that's how it goes?"

It's because uke players never fear they will grow up to look like Keith Richards or Ron Wood....

No, they have nightmares about TinyTim instead. ;)

You get a group of guitar players together and they all want to shred it up to see who the "best" player is.

Get a group of uke players together and we'll all just crack a beer (or not) and say "what do you want to jam to" and other things like "damn, that's great.. show me how you do that," and "that's an awesome uke, can I try it out?"... and the answer is always "sure, here you go."

And ultimately, "You gonna make it to UWC?"

Funny thing about that... a working guitarist that can play a rock-solid rhythm can find work in almost any band. The guys that are all show & go are a dime a dozen. Ask one to play "Listen to the Music" and watch them fall apart. :p

I'm just learning the guitar and started looking for Guitars Underground. I've only found the larger guitar forums where it's so easy to get lost. It's not that they're all not nice, it's just they're not like here. This has been the best place for learning and feeling comfortable with my uke(s). A couple of weeks ago I was at a Jam type thing where all acoustic instruments are allowed. When it came my turn I decided to play a very familiar song from the Daily Uke. (Sentimental Journey) When I finished, I asked where the diminished chord in the song was on the guitar. Most looked at me like I was crazy. A uke player could have told me right away without blinking. I was playing the guitar and wasn't quite sure if I'd played it right. I was bad enough that it probably didn't matter.

Top Bottom