For dog lovers

We always used to donate to the humane society in Zihuatanejo, Mexico, when we went there for vacation. Similar organizations. Good people. Almost brought a rescue dog home one year...

Very admirable people.
Yes, but... there are tons of deserving animal welfare organizations in the U.S., probably quite a few in your own back yard, so to speak.

I'd rather donate locally to help animals in my own community. Even city/county-run animal shelters can use your help, whether it's a donation of old towels so animals have something softer/warmer to sleep on than old newspapers, or a bit of your time to walk a few dogs so they can get out of their cage for a bit.

Yes, but... there are tons of deserving animal welfare organizations in the U.S., probably quite a few in your own back yard, so to speak.

I'd rather donate locally to help animals in my own community. Even city/county-run animal shelters can use your help, whether it's a donation of old towels so animals have something softer/warmer to sleep on than old newspapers, or a bit of your time to walk a few dogs so they can get out of their cage for a bit.

Let's leave room in our hearts for help wherever it's needed and wherever we can. We are all connected.

Well, the US is a foreign country to me, as much as Mexico or Thailand.

But I do contribute to the local animal shelter - money and goods like cat litter. I have four cats and a a dog from them, and I was on their board of directors for a year. I was a volunteer at a large Canadian city shelter for two years and worked for them for two years after that. I ran my own shelter for ferrets for two years, too. I know all about them and have supported humane societies everywhere.

I do know, however, that developing nations need special help because they have a lot less money than we have in North America. And attitudes towards animal welfare is usually a lot less advanced or sympathetic as we have here (factory farms excepted, of course). You can help them and help your local shelter, too. We try to be generous to these shelters when we travel.

Top Bottom