banjo-uke - attaching strings to a vintage tailpiece

barefootgypsy

Reaction score
I've recently got my first banjo-uke, a vintage Slingerland in lovely condition. It has a vintage Waverley tailpiece, and when it came it was already strung. The strings were knotted behind the forked notches, but when I tightened the strings to tune them, eventually one kept popping out under the tension. So when I restrung it with Aquilas, I used slip-knots - but it looks messy! How should the strings be attached please? Here's a pic
SL273267.jpg

This is such a great forum, thanks everyone for your help on all sorts! I find that ukulele people are just lovely people! :)

Get a hold of some old guitar strings, the type that require the anchor end to be placed through a hole in the bridge and are held in place by a peg. On the end of the string is a tiny, washer-like (brass?) thingy . It's looks kind of like what a lifesaver would look like if you carved a groove around the center of the outer edge. They're probably only 2-3mm in diameter. Maybe putting the string through the hole of the thingy and then tying a secure knot would give you something big enough on the end of the string that it wouldn't slip through the notch.

I have no idea if it would work or not because I am a total layman but just looking at your picture, that is the first thing that came to my mind.

Last edited:
Get a hold of some old guitar strings, the type that require the anchor end to be placed through a hole in the bridge and are held in place by a peg. On the end of the string is a tiny, washer-like (brass?) thingy . It's looks kind of like what a lifesaver would look like if you carved a groove around the center of the outer edge. They're probably only 2-3mm in diameter. Maybe putting the string through the hole of the thingy and then tying a secure knot would give you something big enough on the end of the string that it wouldn't slip through the notch.

I have no idea if it would work or not because I am a total layman but just looking at your picture, that is the first thing that came to my mind.
Thanks for that! I haven't any old guitar strings, and I don't know what a lifesaver is - that must have a different name in "English" English, as opposed to American English! But I think I see what you're getting at - something that will take the knotted string, before it goes through the tailpiece notches.... yes? What a brilliant idea! Perhaps a little bead..... fantastic, I'll try it! :D

Lifesavers are exactly like Polo mints only they say Lifesavers on them. ;)

Good luck get your banjo-uke strung!

Lifesavers are exactly like Polo mints only they say Lifesavers on them. ;)

Good luck get your banjo-uke strung!

Aha, gotcha! Yeah, trying to get it restrung as we speak...Also been struggling with a slipping tuner, but I'm getting by, slowly, with a little help from my friends on the Underground!!! Wonderful people, y'are!

I don't believe so - it's a banjo-uke tailpiece, so presumably designed for gut strings, I'd say definitely not steel - here's a link to a page with one of these on it - a good blog, too! :) Thanks for your interest!

http://banjoukuleleforum.blogspot.com/2011_01_30_archive.html

The reason I asked is because I've never seen a tailpiece for gut strings needing such a large gap (as if it needs a bead on the end like steel strings do)...
...but then I looked at the link you included and understand the problem. It appears they are using 5 string tailpieces for 4 string instruments. I think you simply ball-up one end with a knot and slide it through 4 or the 5 longer, thin slots.
tp.jpg

The reason I asked is because I've never seen a tailpiece for gut strings needing such a large gap (as if it needs a bead on the end like steel strings do)...
...but then I looked at the link you included and understand the problem. It appears they are using 5 string tailpieces for 4 string instruments. I think you simply ball-up one end with a knot and slide it through 4 or the 5 longer, thin slots.
View attachment 34717

Ooops... I just re-read your original post and you already knew this :eek:

I agree with others, just attach a small bead so it doesn't pull through the larger gap. I'm sure you could find something at a craft store.

Last edited:
The best kind of knot is a Figure Eight knot. It's designed to be a stopper knot for this sort of thing. You might have to double up on the string thickness to give you a knot big enough not to slip through the slot.

That's just great everybody, thanks! I've never seen the figure eight knot before - I've just "googled" it and found out how to tie it - so I'm nearly there! Just need to decide on the best method now, the knot or a bead on each string. Brilliant! :D

Now you've got me curious as to how you resolve your issue. Let us know what you decide and provide pictures if possible. I'd also like to see the entire ukulele. :)

Now you've got me curious as to how you resolve your issue. Let us know what you decide and provide pictures if possible. I'd also like to see the entire ukulele. :)

Sure I will! I've actually got one or two issues with it that need resolving, before I can play this little baby - a problematic tuner (discussed on another thread!) and the nut is too high, with the strings sitting too high on it also. But I know what I need to do about that, and the tuner is not going to beat me! It's a beautiful banjolele - from the 20's, birds'eye maple.SL273243.jpgSL273238.jpg
It had the original bridge on but I've put a new one on - the original is safely stored away!

Lesley -

I have that tailpiece on one of my Stromberg-Voisinets. Two ways to go here:

- tie a double knot in each string except for the C, which is fat enough for just a single knot, and pull them through long slots (use the four outer ones for balance); they'll hold really well as long as there's any tension on the string.

- Use the figure-8 knot and put the loop over the outside of the four double pronged fingers; once the knot locks after you've got it tuned, it should hold tune fine, but for a few days it will go flat as each string/knot settles in.

Banjos and banjo ukes all used the same tailpieces back in the day, which could be used for five-string, or the (then) much more popular four-string types (Tenor, plectrum and uke).

The ball or ring idea is fine, but I find, unless you have old strings lying around to cannibalize, you can get it done with knots.

Good luck! You should see the one that just came in the post today - lots of work to do!~

Lesley -

I have that tailpiece on one of my Stromberg-Voisinets. Two ways to go here:

- tie a double knot in each string except for the C, which is fat enough for just a single knot, and pull them through long slots (use the four outer ones for balance); they'll hold really well as long as there's any tension on the string.

- Use the figure-8 knot and put the loop over the outside of the four double pronged fingers; once the knot locks after you've got it tuned, it should hold tune fine, but for a few days it will go flat as each string/knot settles in.

Banjos and banjo ukes all used the same tailpieces back in the day, which could be used for five-string, or the (then) much more popular four-string types (Tenor, plectrum and uke).

The ball or ring idea is fine, but I find, unless you have old strings lying around to cannibalize, you can get it done with knots.

Good luck! You should see the one that just came in the post today - lots of work to do!~
Thanks John, fantastic! I'm becoming a slave to this baby....hubby is getting jealous!! I think I need to oil the fretboard - linseed oil? Boiled or raw? Or a wax polish? I think I should get the other two strings off and get that done...... ? Good luck with your new one! Lesley :D

Sure I will! I've actually got one or two issues with it that need resolving, before I can play this little baby - a problematic tuner (discussed on another thread!) and the nut is too high, with the strings sitting too high on it also. But I know what I need to do about that, and the tuner is not going to beat me! It's a beautiful banjolele - from the 20's, birds'eye maple.View attachment 34719View attachment 34720
It had the original bridge on but I've put a new one on - the original is safely stored away!

That's a nice looking uke!

Right, I've decided how to attach the strings now - I'm going for using four of the long narrow slots, using figure-of-eight knots - the four outer slots. I think that'll look the neatest method. Thanks everybody! What a great bunch! :D

Top Bottom