The definition of a good ukulele player

Vindario

Reaction score
In your opinion, what is the definition of a good ukulele player? How good must you be to hang out with the pro guys? Jake Shimabukuro is definitely very good, but his songs is not that hard to play. But we have to have in mind that he has a special touch too. I think that James Hill is a better ukulele player, because his songs is a little bit harder and more impressive, but jake gives a special feeling to it. It is a little bit hard to explain, but you may get the point.

So what must the player be able to do to be a good ukulele player? Some techniques that is a must? Just a bit curious, haha ... :D

"good" is such a relative term, and there are so many different styles and genres the uke encompasses, it's impossible to write a "To-Do" list for mad skillz. I think you just know. When you see a good uke player, you just know.

In your opinion, what is the definition of a good ukulele player? How good must you be to hang out with the pro guys? Jake Shimabukuro is definitely very good, but his songs is not that hard to play. But we have to have in mind that he has a special touch too. I think that James Hill is a better ukulele player, because his songs is a little bit harder and more impressive, but jake gives a special feeling to it. It is a little bit hard to explain, but you may get the point.

So what must the player be able to do to be a good ukulele player? Some techniques that is a must? Just a bit curious, haha ... :D

The thing that is really cool about the ukulele community is that all are welcome. Go to a festival where the pros are and you find they enjoy playing as much we do.
I have gotten to jam with James Hill, Lil' Rev, Aaron Keim, Dominator, Aldriene, Bart, Jim D'Ville, these guys are all uke friendly.

A good ukulele player is someone who enjoys themselves doing it.

Well, you must be good if you think Jake's stuff is not that hard to play. I find it very difficult. But as it has already been said - who cares, as long as you are having fun.

I think the definition of a good player is someone who loves playing and is constantly trying to improve their skills.

I'm not TECHNICALLY the best player in the world, but I would feel absolutely no way about (wait... do you guys use "feel no way"? I'm saying I would be totally happy and not intimidated) playing with, in front of or alongside Jake or James Hill or Aldrine. I'd hang with anyone.
I like to think that they'd be happy to have me play, too.

Maybe THAT is what makes you a good ukulele player. The ability to love someone because they play the ukulele.

Hi there,
Go watch Jake live and there will be no more second guessing his skill level.

I don't usually play for anyone but myself and my dogs (and sometimes my girlfriend get's stuck listening, too). The other day I brought my new Badaax solid mahogany soprano to work. I was going somewhere after to show it off but I brought it inside because it was cold outside. I started to strum it a little just for fun. One of my co-workers was suprised how good I sounded. Huh?!? Me, good? Nope. But good is very subjective. To someone who has never listened to an ukulele before and was expecting it to be a toy and for me to play "Tip-toe Through the Tulips," I'm sure it was shocking when I was able to play more relevant songs on it. But to compare myself to someone like Jake or James or Aldriene or most of the people on youtube that put regular songs up isn't realistic. For the amount of hours I've put into the instrument I think I am pretty good (I don't practice everyday and I've gone several months at a time not picking one up). For the amount of years I've put into the instrument I'm very bad (about 10 now). Overall I make myself happy playing and that's all good to me :)

I'm sure its true that every 'good' ukulele player has a strong commitment to get 'better'. In that way they're just like the rest of us mortals. :))

I think that presenting emotion through playing will make you good at any musical instrument, but playing more difficult stuff shows that you have skill. Jake Shimabukuro can play some impressive stuff, and show an emotional excellence through it. James Hill, on the other hand, can play pieces that are just as impressive as Jake. The thing that separates them is that James can sing and play. James can also do his percussion thing. No way am I saying that James Hill is any better than Jake, but they are who they are, and we like what they do.

Many good answers here, and I understand you guys... I also think that if you enjoy playing the uke and if you are aiming in the right way, you wil only get better and become great. And the people that enjoy the ukulele, are the best players. Sounds good? Haha... And another thing. I will guess that it is a huge difference between Slash or John Mayer on the uke than all the fantastic ukulele players out there. The best guitarist would rock the ukulele after a day with practice, but they would have the feeling that is common with uke players...

I consider "good" to be anybody better than me. Probably 90% of players on UU. If you consider jake's songS to be easy, then you are "good". That makes me "not good." for me, you are good of you can play musically. No stopping and starting. The songs have a musical quality. Now, a conversation about " great" would be different.

Top Bottom