Low G strings

collarbone

Reaction score
Britihsh Columbia: Last stop for the Pineapple Exp
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here at Ukulele Underground.
I just picked up a Mainland Mahogany Tenor, which is a bit of a reintroduction to the ukulele for me. I had a sopranno before but got rid of it and have not played in a few years. So far I think it is great and a really getting back into it, but I have a question about strings.
I was thinking of buying a low G set, to give it a try. I had a low g wound set for my sopranno years ago but didn't like it very much because the wound string had such a different tone than the other strings. I have done a little research and found out the Worth sells unwound low G but so I am leaning towards that, but I can't seem to figure out if they also sell a wound low G (I just don't want to buy the wrong type). I was also wondering what the difference is between normal, heavy and extra tension.
Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome back to the ukulele!!
Not sure about exact model numbers, but you can call elderly to make sure you get the right ones before you buy the. On the Normal, Heavy, extra tension thing; the normal are what you would expect in the string thickness, while the heavy are just a heavier gauge. the extra tension, I use on my Oscar Schmidt OU-2, are just that, Higher tension strings. They do not stretch as much. I love them on the uke I have them on. I call it my workout uke. After a few mintes with that thing and a regular ukes feels like nothing to play. WARNING: the extra tension can mess up a uke meant for "Normal" tension strings.

Check out Southcoast's low G set. They use both a wound G and a wound C to help balance out the harsh differences going from wound to unwound. They are very thin strings and are polished so there is very little finger noise that is usually typical with wound strings. You shouldn't even have to worry about filing the nut slot like you would if you went to a (much fatter) unwound G.

I just put a set on my Kala tenor and I really like them.

Thanks for the info/advice. I think I may get myself a few different kind of stings and see what I like best.
I usually play medium guage on my acoustic guitar so I think harder strings should be OK for me.
That southcoast website has a TON of information on it. I'll try to pick up a set of those and see what I think.

Anyone have a Mainland Mahogany Tenor? If so what strings do you use?

Currently on my LoPrinzi mahogany tenor is the Southcoast G650 linear (low g) flatwound set. Excellent string-to-string balance, with both the G and C strings being flatwound. The treble strings are clear and punchy, and the bass strings are proportionate to the overall tone. These strings tune up to C, and there is no string squeek. I also have a set of their linear unwound strings, which should be tuned up to D on the tenor scale, and will be trying those next. Also, if you are looking for a single wound low g string that seems to work well with a variety of sets, I use the D'Addario J4304. This string is metal ( silver-plated copper)wrapped on a nylon core, and marketed as "light tension", which to my ear, isn't as overpowering as a lot of normal or hard tension single strings. Just Strings sells this string for less that $1.00. I would imagine you could find them at other outlets as well.

Last edited:
+1 on the Southcoast G650's, best ever for me on my Mele Koa Tenor.................................BO......................

If you go with the Worth clear strings, a very good wound string for low G tuning is the D'Addario NYL28W. It was recommended to me by Gordon at Mya-Moe and I've still never found a better combination for my tenor.

If you go with the Worth clear strings, a very good wound string for low G tuning is the D'Addario NYL28W. It was recommended to me by Gordon at Mya-Moe and I've still never found a better combination for my tenor.

Have you ever compared the NYL28W with the D'Addario J4304? They look to be quite similar, except the J4304 is listed as "light tension", whereas there is no tension description for the NYL28W, which I assume means it is "normal" tension?

Top Bottom